Hire the best Roofing Expert

Paint or replace roof?

Default Paint or replace roof?

I have a dilemma. My house was built in 1910 and the gable part of the roof has never been replaced. It's an old cottage style and has a long flat roof at the back which has been replaced a couple of times over the years due to 2 types of roofing rusting it out, all fixed now. I'm not painting the flat bit as you can't see it, but the gable end was painted red and has now faded pretty bad. There is 2 very small rust bits on the underneath of the bull-nose but does not leak, the gable doesn't either (they made iron tuff back then!)
    The dilemma is i'm getting new gutterings and asked the plumber to give me quote for new roof, said the bull-nose would cost about $1000 before they started on the gable part, he had a look around and said it would be cheaper to paint it. What are your views on this? Strange for him not to give quote or is he being genuine? I'm female, not easily bluffed, but when it comes to this I have no idea!

Picture would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cheers Look out if I have a tape measure in my hand.....I'm upto something

As you can see in pics the roof looks pretty bad, but from underneath bullnose there is only spots of rust otherwise its all in good nick. The gutters have been removed to replace and it will all be painted white with dark grey roof. Thoughts?

p1000873.jpgp1000877.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000878.jpg  

Hi, the roof looks fairly weathered and rusted in spots, but not beyond repair, depends on how much money and time you want to spend on it.

It is not just a matter of repainting it, as there would be a fair amount of prep work involved before final painting, you would also need to repair the rusted areas as these will continue to rust and spoil your hard work.
    It would also be advisable to replace all the old screws holding the tin down, with newer ones.

Dulux have a paint for roofs called Weathershield Roof and Trim, this is more of a non professional product, Not that there is anything wrong with this product, it is designed exactly for the purpose you want and can be done by a competent handy person.

The other option is to have the roof replaced with colorbond, but at the end of the day this will cost a lot more, but give you that brand new finish.

Below is the explanation from Dulux on how to prep the surface, it can be quite involved if you want to get a good final finish.

All surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned and free of all dirt, loose and flaking paint. In checking the suitability of a previously painted surface for recoating with Weathershield Roof & Trim, use the test described below. If all the paint layers are removed by the cellulose tape, the original coating needs to be removed before painting. Bare Galvanised Iron: Remove dirt and roll forming oils by washing with a detergent solution such as Sugar Soap. Rinse using high pressure water, allow to dry and prime with DULUX Galvanised Iron Primer. Colorbond®: Rinse using high pressure water, allow to dry before applying Weathershield Roof directly to substrate. For improved adhesion very light sanding is recommended. Concrete Tiles: Remove all dirt, chalk, lichens, moss and mould. To avoid dust, do not sand asbestos cement sheet. Wash with a bleach solution and de-mossing chemical where necessary. Hose down only. Ensure that all grouting is sound. Apply one coat of Dulux Acraprime

3K Club Member

A lot depends on how long you are staying in the property because the rust will keep going.

The rust holes on the ends of the bullnose are probably from where the gutter was touching it, so when the gutters are replaced, get the plumber to wire brush the rust areas then cover the holes with silicone.

The ridge capping needs to be fixed down as some of it is obviously sitting up.

The painters will have to be extremly careful walking on the bullnose seeing as there are no supports under it, which is how they used to fit it in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    A lot depends on how long you are staying in the property because the rust will keep going.

The rust holes on the ends of the bullnose are probably from where the gutter was touching it, so when the gutters are replaced, get the plumber to wire brush the rust areas then cover the holes with silicone.

The ridge capping needs to be fixed down as some of it is obviously sitting up.

The painters will have to be extremly careful walking on the bullnose seeing as there are no supports under it, which is how they used to fit it in the old days.

It's taken 102 years for this amount of rust so I'm not too worried about that, when I'm dead I won't know or care! lol
    Don't want to spend too much just spruce it up to look a little better. Yes, it worries me how the painters will walk on the bullnose but must get a quote an see what they say, they may not want to take it on. Thanks for replies, it has helped tremendously and now its probably why the plumber wasn't fussed about a quote! lol
    Will post pics when its done