Hire the best Roofing Expert

possums in roof (getting under asbestos corrugations)

Novice

Default possums in roof (getting under asbestos corrugations)

Not sure if there is a more suitable place for this, but its related to roofing.

I have a house with an old asbestos roof (large corrugations), and possums living in the roof. I'm quite certain they're going in through under the reasonably large gaps between the corrugations and the fascia board. With three separate lines from the roof to power poles (one electricity, two data), and hearing about how the possums can learn to get around them, I think my best bet of keeping them out is to do something at the roof corrugations themselves.

The gutters need replacing, so one idea is to pull them off, and glue or nail something under each corrugation (a simple pre-cut thing fast and easy to fix to block them out) before putting up the new gutter.

An alternate idea is some sort of flexible gutter guard mesh fixed to the outside lip of the quad gutter, and liquid nailed down to the asbestos sheets.

Really just after peoples' thoughts, suggestions, feedback, etc. as to what to do to keep them out of the roof.

You can try to spray a bit of "space invader" foam in each opening.
    Or wait for the possum to die from asbestosis
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

3K Club Member

There used to be sheet metal strips cut to suit the super 6 roofing to keep birds out, but I don't know if it is still available.
    The best approach is keep them off the roof, not out of the roof.

Be warned if you start nailing anything, even gutter brackets, to the fascia, you will dislodge fibres from the roof.

edit link attached. https://www.renovateforum.com/f195/p...cables-109934/

do you have access to the roof space?
    sometimes putting a light oup there for a week or more can encourgae them to go somewhere else - mine went into the shed roller door. we have called a truce even tho he gets a workout occasionally when I use that door. Luckily for him I use the other door mostly.

you can try some of the 'bird wire' cut into strips and pushed in the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by toooldforthis View Post
    mine went into the shed roller door. we have called a truce even tho he gets a workout occasionally when I use that door. Luckily for him I use the other door mostly.

20g shotgun works a treat.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

Quote Originally Posted by sam989 View Post
    Not sure if there is a more suitable place for this, but its related to roofing.

I have a house with an old asbestos roof (large corrugations), and possums living in the roof. I'm quite certain they're going in through under the reasonably large gaps between the corrugations and the fascia board. With three separate lines from the roof to power poles (one electricity, two data), and hearing about how the possums can learn to get around them, I think my best bet of keeping them out is to do something at the roof corrugations themselves.

The gutters need replacing, so one idea is to pull them off, and glue or nail something under each corrugation (a simple pre-cut thing fast and easy to fix to block them out) before putting up the new gutter.

An alternate idea is some sort of flexible gutter guard mesh fixed to the outside lip of the quad gutter, and liquid nailed down to the asbestos sheets.

Really just after peoples' thoughts, suggestions, feedback, etc. as to what to do to keep them out of the roof.
    I had the same problem on a house I had years ago with super 6 roofing, you need to determine exactly where they are getting in, it's very difficult to see exactly where they get in as they don't need a big opening to enter.

Then fabricate something from a strong mesh, it needs to be strong, not something like chicken wire they will just rip it out, it needs to be fixed in well.
    See the video link below as they get very aggressive if they can't get back in when they come home, spray foam etc will not stop them, they will just rip it out.

It took me a while to work out where they were getting in, the only reason I found it was I had repainted the gutters in a dark colour, when they went out at night they grabbed the gutters to get out, this scratched the paint off and showed me where the front door was for them, I was surprised how small the opening was they were using.

I fabricated a temporary blocker from stiff mesh, set the ladder up waited until around 11pm when they go out, and stuffed the mesh into the gutter, they came back around 5am and could not get back in, and were very upset..
    I left the temporary blocker in for a few days to determine if this was the only entry point, luckily it was.

Then I fixed the entry point properly with stiff mesh screwed in place.

They continued to come back for a few weeks after every morning trying to get back in and getting very annoyed when they couldn't get in, eventually they will find another place to go.

Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir