Hire the best Roofing Expert

PVC gutter brackets on Colorbond gutter

Default PVC gutter brackets on Colorbond gutter

Our new gutters overflow nearly every time we have heavy rain. We have a skillion roof and it appears the gutters sag when water are in them and the water goes over the top of them. They are slotted but the water actually runs down the outside of the gutter back along underneath and then drops from the front of the fascia. It doesn't seem to be coming out of the slots as from pictures of these working they seem to make the overflow drop out away from the front.
    A plumber here for another problem said it was the PVC gutter brackets not being strong enough to hold up the Colorbond gutter. When they sag the water hits the top of the gutter front and rolls over it. He used a garden hose on the roof to replicate this. When the gutters overflow it is only the centre of the front and the back. Not the entire length. He suggested the only way to fix it without removing the gutter and replacing the brackets is to make up straps to put from the front lip of the gutter and secure with the front row of fixings on the roof.
    Are gutters on new homes supposed to be installed or certified by a plumber or is it up to the builder to do it. The plumber who works for our builder was surprised there wasn't a third downpipe on the back gutter (the worst overflowing one).

Quote Originally Posted by Sapienreno View Post
    Our new gutters overflow nearly every time we have heavy rain. We have a skillion roof and it appears the gutters sag when water are in them and the water goes over the top of them. They are slotted but the water actually runs down the outside of the gutter back along underneath and then drops from the front of the fascia. It doesn't seem to be coming out of the slots as from pictures of these working they seem to make the overflow drop out away from the front.
    A plumber here for another problem said it was the PVC gutter brackets not being strong enough to hold up the Colorbond gutter. When they sag the water hits the top of the gutter front and rolls over it. He used a garden hose on the roof to replicate this. When the gutters overflow it is only the centre of the front and the back. Not the entire length. He suggested the only way to fix it without removing the gutter and replacing the brackets is to make up straps to put from the front lip of the gutter and secure with the front row of fixings on the roof.
    Are gutters on new homes supposed to be installed or certified by a plumber or is it up to the builder to do it. The plumber who works for our builder was surprised there wasn't a third downpipe on the back gutter (the worst overflowing one).

If he was able to replicate the issue using a garden hose then there is something really wrong. Water should flow along the gutter to a downpipe, if a garden hose can fill the gutter to overflowing then there is the wrong slope on the gutter.
    Even metal gutter brackets will sag if the wrong slope is on the gutter and it is always supporting a gutter full of water.
    The number of downpipes is normally determined by the amount of roof being serviced and or the gutter length.

“What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

Thanks for responding. I don't think he had the hose on long enough to fill the gutter. He had the nozzle up on the roof pointing down towards the gutter. It seemed like the water was flowing down the channels of the Colorbond roofing and hitting the top of the raised front edge of the gutter, then rolling over the top of it. The gutter does cover a lot of the gutter and I am wondering if the almost flat skillion roof means the water isn't so much landing in the gutter as hitting the front edge. When it sags a bit with weight it just goes over the top and runs down. It is the middle just about of each long section that is the worst. Every time there is slightly heavy rain it overflows.
    These pics were taken recently. The rain wasn't that heavy. When it does get heavy it starts coming in under the eave and then dropping.
    img_0593.jpg
    img_0581.jpg

Thanks for the calculator. I should try that. How do you work out the roof pitch though? I am sure I can find some sort of formula somewhere. Thank goodness it is a skillion roof. It might be easier to measure the roof from the roof as it is a U shape with wider than normal eaves and I'd only be guessing from the ground.

For roof pitch use an online calculator:
    https://www.blocklayer.com/riserun.aspx

Or if you have a smart phone you can use that.

A hose pointing down the roof is not really replicating rainfall. The water should fall at the end of the sheet into the gutter on a flat roof the type of situation you are describing is normally associated with steeper pitch roof when the water has more velocity.
    What is the gap between the sheet and the front of the gutter, it may be the sheet is too long. Take a couple of pictures looking down on the gutter and at eyeline horizontal with the gutter so we can see the relationship of the gutter and the roof sheets.

So average 20 year rainfall intensity in this region is about 240mm/hr. Can someone explain what this is supposed to mean though? Does it main gutters and downpipes should be designed to handle this before overflowing?

I'm wondering if the roof pitch is very low and the water is running back up under the sheets.
    Like Droog said, really need a photo showing the roof and gutter.

Sorry guys. I've had the ladder out ready to go up but I'm up in SEQ and we've been battered by storms all day. Too much thunder and lightning for me to go up the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'm wondering if the roof pitch is very low and the water is running back up under the sheets.
    Looks like way too much water for that.

I have both problems. On the pergola, the shallow roof angle causes water to run back under the roof sheets under heavier rain. It isn't torrential like that image shows but can be a decent bit of dripping.

A couple of years ago I had all my guttering replaced on the house. The guy who did it must have stuffed up the angles because I have one section that does overflow under heavy rain. Gutter get overwhelmed and fills up due to insufficient slope, gets heavy and overflows heavily, just like those images. I have gone up on a ladder during heavy rain to see it for myself.

My planned fix is to add an additional downpipe in the affected area. In my case it is beneficial as it is close to the water tank.

Still waiting for a good idea to address the pergola problem.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...