Hire the best Roofing Expert

Queenslander eaves nail gun

Novice

Default Queenslander eaves nail gun

Hi All,

I'm putting some eaves into my old queenslander to tidy it up and get rid of the birds that keep sitting on the rafters.

I went to bunnings and bought some eave cement sheeting over the weekend and hired a coil nailer. This was ok, but the compressor hose is driving me nuts, i need to do the rest of the house and its about 5-6m up which is challenging enough without having to deal with the hose. Does anybody know of a cordless nailer that would do the job? I can't seem to find any cordless coil guns, the alternative would be to screw them in with drill?

Thank you.

Can't say I have ever put up FC eaves lining with a coil gun, your alternative is a hammer and clouts.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Novice

I can't imagine hammering the eaves in by hand, i'm guessing a skilled worker could probably do this but trying to hold the sheet, nail and hammer at height sounds like quite the challenge. Clouts look very similar to the coils i was using for my trial run.

Quote Originally Posted by renon00b View Post
    I can't imagine hammering the eaves in by hand, i'm guessing a skilled worker could probably do this but trying to hold the sheet, nail and hammer at height sounds like quite the challenge. Clouts look very similar to the coils i was using for my trial run.

We do them all the time with hammer and nails, no problems, coils gun has too much power and can easily pierce the sheet as they are only 4.5mm thick.

Novice

Ok, thanks for the information. I'll have a good hammering by hand and see if its doable.

2K Club Member

i use a coil gun with 30mm nails set to the shallowest depth.. they sit proud then hit them home with a hammer..dont need to many, just enough to hold the sheet in place until you put the trim up..

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by sol381 View Post
    i use a coil gun with 30mm nails set to the shallowest depth.. they sit proud then hit them home with a hammer..dont need to many, just enough to hold the sheet in place until you put the trim up..
    I ended up doing this, i was by myself, it was tricky enough with a nail gun. happy with the result, looks very tidy and has been keeping the birds away.

i bought a cheap one from total tools for about 170.00, worked great. was better than the paslode hire from bunnings that kept jamming.

Quote Originally Posted by sol381 View Post
    Might give that a try next time.

2K Club Member

If you nail about 20mm in from the edge then the 31 x 11 trim will cover it...Put up 2 sheets then the trimming. much easier with 2 pairs of hands tho. very hard with one person to hold it and then slide the sheet into the plastic joiner.

Yep the plastic joiners can be a real bugger

I find if you run a knite or file or even rough sandpaper right on the edge of the sheet knock off the sharp edge they go in a lot easier

2K Club Member

definitely.. it seems those edges flare out sometimes..a good sandpapering does wonders.

Yep, it's the back of the sheet that's the problem, must be something in the way they press the sheets out.

Awesome thread - just what i was looking for.
    I was also wondering if you need to nail both sides of the soffit, or only the side toward the house. For the other side (external side) does it just sit in the fascia's groove without any nailing?