Hire the best Roofing Expert

Reccomended gutter fall left standing water in my gutter

Default Reccomended gutter fall left standing water in my gutter

Hey Guys,
    I've just installed the gutter on my verandah.
    its 5500 wide, skillion roof, gutter on the front.

I set a stringline one the high end, and on the low end (downspout) I set the string line 30mm lower.

Ran the supports along this every meter, clipped in the gutter and did a test off teh roof with a bucket. Water moved fairly sowly to the downspout and trickled out.
    AFter the trickling stopoped, there was still some water in the gutter. I wasn't happy with the amoutn. It wasnt alot, but along teh whole length, there was a few mm of water.

I took off teh gutter incrased the fall another 10mm, and refixed, it. Much better, no water left. But I started thinking....is the amount of water in the gutter in the intial fixing ok? or should it be fairly dry.
    The amount of fall on teh gutter now, is quite obvious, you can see it pretty easily - it doesnt bother me at all, but I was thinking, did I have it right the first time and I was just being pedantic ?

I chcked my fasica before I started, and it was level.

Cheers

Is it possible that there was sag in the stringline ?
    I always visually sight the brackets as well if using a stringline if it looses tension or is over a long distance it can sag.

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Is it possible that there was sag in the stringline ?
    I always visually sight the brackets as well if using a stringline if it looses tension or is over a long distance it can sag.
    Nope, I was very pedantic about the stringline, It was taught tight...

So after I set the fall to alot more last night, I wasn't happy with the way it looked. You could visually tell a mile away how out of level it was.
    I took down the gutter again, checked the level of the fasica, checked the measurements, checked the water level, checked everything!
    I set the fall back to 30mm over the length, and re-ran the string line.

mounted teh gutter and checked the water again - still a little bit of water in the gutter from the few litres i poured on the roof.
    I tried pouring water in the gutter itself at the high end, and it did indeed make its way to the spoout, but there was some water left over.
    I'm thinking there's a bit of friction and the dryness makes the water harder to move. I'll leave it for a nice rain and check afterwards and see how it goes...

I'm probably being a bit anal about this to be honest!

A tiny bit of water I think is nothing to worry about provided you've got the correct falls. It'll evaporate out pretty quickly anyway. I've had professionals do my gutters and I've done them myself and I've always noticed tiny bits of water left after rain, I've never worried about it. Otherwise to get no water you'd have to do what you did and then it kind of looks a bit stupidly out of level.

Thanks for the info !

You were spot on. It rained last night and I went out today to check. There's not much water in there and it'd evaporating quick. I think it will be just fine.