Hire the best Roofing Expert

Reflective Sarking required?

Novice

Default Reflective Sarking required?

I have the roofers soon to put on colourbond and it occurred to me, do I need to put that reflective sarking on the roof as well? Or is that only necessary if you don't have bulk insulation bats put in ? My quote is for 40 mil insulation over batons and then I will also put in some ceiling bats between the rafters as well. (Doing raked ceilings) Thanks

2K Club Member

I used ‘anticon’ roofing blanket which is a combination of reflective sarking and a fiberglass backing.

The blanket provides some thermal insulation and sound deadening and the foil directs any condensation to the gutters and provides a radiant heat barrier.

I’d be surprised if your quote doesn’t include it - though it’s usually at least 55mm thick not 40mm. Are you sure it’s not one of the 4mm air cell type products?

There are a few options being used these days, but you should definitely have a product to reduce radiant heat and to stop issues with condensation (which can promote rust and rot in your roof space).

What specifically does the quote say?

Novice

Thanks a lot for the reply... that makes a lot of sense. I’m currently contacting my roofer for him to specify as on the quote he says “standard wool blanket”. I will keep you in the loop !

Cheers mate.

Novice

Yes the roofer says it’s 55 mil with reflective anticon backing as you described. Thank you very much for your advice and for making sure that he’s giving me the right stuff... really takes the stress out of things !

Have a great day.

I ajust having colobond roof (Monument )installed with anticon and the earthwool blanket both the same I prefer the roof cleanket over anticon. the insulation on the roof joist must be intalled first I have double layer of R 4 over the bedrooms and R 4 overall I also installing a solar roof vent for hot weather althogh I see if my electrician can make an overide switch for my to control when and how much I want to run since I will have solar and batteries
    how much did you paid for your roof as a guide I paid $18,000 for 224 Sq mettres