Hire the best Roofing Expert

replacing flat roof on a shed with a pitched roof (inc mezzanine) - connections?

Apprentice (new member)

Default replacing flat roof on a shed with a pitched roof (inc mezzanine) - connections?

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would get some opinions before i get the credit card out.

I have a 5.4 x 4 shed that i want to put a pitched roof on (for looks and to also give me a mezanine)

The shed will have no problems taking the load (90x45 studs @ 300 centers with triple top plate) - yes i over engineer things.

So I simply need joists to span the 4m and rafters to span 3m (which will give me about 2m hight in the mezanine).

As the joist will be exsposed i am thinking LVL (LGL and Hardwood is just too exspensive).

For the rafters, I am just thinking of using mgp12 treated pine which i will line with something (gyprock or tp lining boards).

Now according to my trusty CHH design it span software, i need the following based on 600 centres:
    Joists 200x63 lvl
    rafters 120x45 mgp12 tp

The only thing i am not sure about is the connection. Can I simply bolt the rafters to the joist? and skew nail the top of the rafters (no ridge board) (maybe strap the ridge for uplift)

One other quick question. when i batten out the roof for colour bond, could i simply extend the batten 200mm each side to give me a small eve.

thanks for any feed back.

Cheers

-

7K Club Member

The rafters should be birdsmouthed or wedged/anchored appropriately and attached to the top plate and tied down. The joists are connected to the rafter sides (and also nailed to the top plate (may as well)).

No ridgeboard? I think the AS will suggest otherwise. Still strap over the ridge.

Battens can overhang per your span tables. (Battens sized anywhere from 35x70 to 45x90, at 600 span and 600-900 spacing, can overhang 300)

Don't forget the bracing

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for that,

The ridge board is a little bug bear of mine. I had an argument once on a construction site about whether a ridge board (not beam) is structurally required. I believed it wasn't if the joists connect to the rafters (which in essence become a basic truss if you like). The joist stop the spread and the only thing the ridge board does is keep things straight and make it easier to throw you rafters up.

Not knocking your advise (i know its probably in the AS), just puting it out there.

Actually, and I am just thinking out loud here, I could cut the rafters bolt them to the Joist and nail the ridge on the ground (with a ply plate each side) and simply lift the "truss" into position. Now if i did that, i wouldnt need a birdsmouth cut (just like pre fab trusses dont have one).

Some interesting discussiosn on roof thrust here if any one is interested.
    Figuring Rafter Thrust

Not knocking any advise, I just like doing things different.

Apprentice (new member)

wall-upgrade.gif

from hurricane upgrade

is sort of what i am thinking

7K Club Member

I'm wondering what you are actually thanking me for?