Hire the best Roofing Expert

Roof leak from gutter protruding into roof space

Apprentice (new member)

Default Roof leak from gutter protruding into roof space

I have a roof leak that I've traced to a spot where the gutter actually protrudes into the roof space. See photos attached from bottom and top.

Where the gutter protrudes, the roof tiles have had a notch cut out in order for it to fit in. Previously there was a piece of plastic (I believe from a milk carton) on top of this notch, but was leaking. I've since used some butyl flashing tape to patch it up, and it's still leaking onto the ceiling below, although much less. Looking at it now, the water must be entering from the front of the gutter where the tile has been cut (I didn't put any tape there).

It seems the way this gutter has been installed is dodgy, should guttering protrude into the roof space like this? Rather than trying to seal up around the gutter/tile interface, should I instead cut the gutter off so that it isn't protruding into the roof space at all, and replace the tile with a non-notched one? Is it easy to cut the guttering without taking it off? Many Thanks.

20150513_134835.jpgimg_3491.jpgimg_3492.jpg

NRB

That is bad and not up to spec's,how old is your house? If you are able to get the builder to fix,there is no way that the spout should run onto the tiles that way,is there a downpipe in that spout at all.
    The way it should be done is for the water to go down a downpipe outlet,it can run onto the tiles but not like that.

Apprentice (new member)

The house is around 20 years old, although the gutters were apparently replaced about 2 years ago. By spout do you mean the gutter? There is a cream coloured pipe that sticks out with a 90 bend then runs onto the roof again, as you can see from this photo showing the area from a distance away.

I'm thinking to cut the other end of the gutter shorter, and then move it along so it doesn't run into the roof, then replace the tiles that were cut to accommodate the gutter. Does this sound like an easy exercise? Not sure what to cut the gutter with, and if i'll have to take it off the roof first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150119_161334-1-.jpg  

Old Chippy 6K

That gutter should have an end cap on it! The last pic shows the outlet onto the tiles below and across - it should have spreader too. Easiest solution is to fit an end cap . . .
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for all the info.

What exactly does the spreader do?

Fitting an end cap would require the tiles to be notched out more, which is why I'm thinking of just cutting it shorter and then putting the end cap on.

NRB

A spreader disperes the water over a larger area than just out of the pipe.
    In heavy rain without a spreader the water can have enough force to get under and through tiles joints.

2K Club Member

one of these

Yes you can cut the gutter back a bit as long as it is still past the down pipe. You will need to remove some of the

tiles to give you access for your tin snips. But the gutter needs an end stop and the down pipe a spreader
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spreader.jpg  

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks, I trust there is a version for the tube style pipes?

2K Club Member

yes you can get them in rectangular metal to match the downpipe size. The spreader fits parallel to your gutters

3K Club Member

As already suggested, stop the gutter against the facia with a stop end.

To do this, lift the roof tiles to gain access to the gutter, cut the gutter with left and right hand snips or whatever you want to use, fit gutter end, then replace/renew tiles as needed.