Hire the best Roofing Expert

Roof soffit sagging

Novice

Default Roof soffit sagging

I noticed the roof soffit was sagging. I had not noticed this before so it might have occurred recently with the Sydney rain.

Do I need go up into the roof void to see this or how do I diagnose the issue?

Also how do I clean the mould and stains on it?

20211001_124409.jpg
    20211001_124413.jpg

20211001_124426.jpg

2K Club Member

Re. Mould
    I would start by washing it with a vinegar and water solution - use the ‘three buckets’ method Choice recommends. Vinegar actually kills the mould organism rather than just bleaching it - which is all ‘mould killer’ does. https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-l...g-rid-of-mould

If any discoloration from the mould remains after this treatment, you can use bleach then. Remove surface dirt with detergent.

Re. Sagging:
    From the photos, its really hard to tell where it’s sagging. If it’s left if the sensor, it looks like it’s come out of the moulding. Is there a thick bead of gap filler there too?

Maybe it was cut too short and filled with gap filler? Are you sure the sagging is recent? Have any nails popped out in other places?

Try pushing it back up and see what happens. Don’t push too hard - you don’t want to crack it.

Warning: the soffit lining may be asbestos cement sheeting. How old is the house?

Novice

Thanks for the tips joynz.

The sagging is around the lights. In the bottom photo you can see it a bit clearer there where the lights should be parallel with the floor but it's somewhat sagging a bit towards the right.

I will try pushing it back but the roof seemed fairly stiff.

The house is 1970s. There are asbestos in parts of the house so there's a chance this is also asbestos. Thanks for the heads up.

Your gutter is overflowing and has been for sometime. Get someone to clean the gutter out and check for possible water entrance.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by n00b View Post
    Thanks for the tips joynz.

The sagging is around the lights. In the bottom photo you can see it a bit clearer there where the lights should be parallel with the floor but it's somewhat sagging a bit towards the right.

I will try pushing it back but the roof seemed fairly stiff.

The house is 1970s. There are asbestos in parts of the house so there's a chance this is also asbestos. Thanks for the heads up.
    My suggestion about pushing it back was if it had dropped on the edge near the moulding. If itís around the light, itís more likely to be related to Marks comment about water ingress. Go out in a rain shower and you might find water pouring out of/around the light.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Your gutter is overflowing and has been for sometime. Get someone to clean the gutter out and check for possible water entrance.
    Obvious by the water drips off the fascia

Golden Member

My 2bobs worth. I thought that the outer edge of the eve/soffit lining sheet was usually recessed into a pre-cut grove the back of the facia board. This does not seem to be happening in the last photo. As joynz said perhaps it was cut too short.