Hire the best Roofing Expert

Rusted Gutter Brackets

Apprentice (new member)

Default Rusted Gutter Brackets

Our home is only about 6 years old (located approx 20 km from the sea, so saltwater should not be a problem), but the Gutter Brackets (150mm half round) have rusted and the rust appears to be attacking the Colorbond gutters as well ((150mm half round)).

The firm who installed is now out of business. I assume they were just pressed steel (hopefully galvanised) - and not powder coated.

Can someone suggest the best way to fix?

I have thought of:

1. Painting with Rust Replacement (Phosphoric Acid), Then repaint with rust proof paint - etc. but I doubt it will enter the narrow space between gutter and bracket
    2. Removing one bracket at a time and then replacing with brackets that I get powder coated myself. (There is a problem with removing the old bracket as the screws/nails are under the gutter
    3. Unclipping the gutter from about half the brackets along a section of roof and proceeding as in (2).,.. hopefully to support the rest of the gutter without having to remove it all.
    4. Just restart from the beginning and pull the whole section of gutter down and replace as in (2).

Whatever, will I realise I will need scaffolding

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by glacey View Post
    Our home is only about 6 years old (located approx 20 km from the sea, so saltwater should not be a problem), but the Gutter Brackets (150mm half round) have rusted and the rust appears to be attacking the Colorbond gutters as well ((150mm half round)).

The firm who installed is now out of business. I assume they were just pressed steel (hopefully galvanised) - and not powder coated.

Can someone suggest the best way to fix?

I have thought of:

1. Painting with Rust Replacement (Phosphoric Acid), Then repaint with rust proof paint - etc. but I doubt it will enter the narrow space between gutter and bracket
    2. Removing one bracket at a time and then replacing with brackets that I get powder coated myself. (There is a problem with removing the old bracket as the screws/nails are under the gutter
    3. Unclipping the gutter from about half the brackets along a section of roof and proceeding as in (2).,.. hopefully to support the rest of the gutter without having to remove it all.
    4. Just restart from the beginning and pull the whole section of gutter down and replace as in (2).

Whatever, will I realise I will need scaffolding

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    Number 4, but remove all Brackets then fit new Brackets with a string line to get the fall to downpipes.