Hire the best Roofing Expert

Terracotta roof tile painting

Default Terracotta roof tile painting

I'm about to get my terracotta roof painted. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with either Dulux or Regent paint? The impression I got from talking to a few roofers was Regent paint was a little better but wanted to get the opinion of those more experience from this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by n00b View Post
    I'm about to get my terracotta roof painted. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with either Dulux or Regent paint? The impression I got from talking to a few roofers was Regent paint was a little better but wanted to get the opinion of those more experience from this forum.
    I thought painting was for cement tiles, waterblasting normally cleans terracotta and brings it up like new.

4K Club Member

2K Club Member

Not sure I'd waste money on terracotta painting..
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Is the main opposition against painting because I'd need to re-paint after 15-20 years? Or other reasons/concerns?

I'm somewhat against painting cause we'll probably need to have it repainted after 10-15 (?) years, but my wife wants it painted so it matches when we paint the external walls of the house to give it a modern look. I've gotten a few quotes and painters have about a 10 year warranty against cracking, peeling etc. so I'm assuming they're actually quite reliable and will last 15ish years? Or am I totally wrong about this?

2K Club Member

Change of decor is a good reason to paint, about the only one I'd be happy with. But once you get onto the painted roof train, you'll never get off...
    I'm always sceptical of long warranties on such projects. Consider how you will ever find the contractor again after even perhaps 2-3 years to make a claim.
    I'd punt that the warranty they are offering you is longer than they have probably been in business to date...
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    Change of decor is a good reason to paint, about the only one I'd be happy with. But once you get onto the painted roof train, you'll never get off...
    I'm always sceptical of long warranties on such projects. Consider how you will ever find the contractor again after even perhaps 2-3 years to make a claim.
    I'd punt that the warranty they are offering you is longer than they have probably been in business to date...
    Once we paint it, is it hard to get the paint off or change the colour?

Also, would the value of the house improve with a nicely coloured roof/render combination?

I just checked and the roofer started his business from 2015. So yes they've been in business less than the warranty period, but 7 years seems like a long enough duration?

The roofers are currently pressure cleaning the roof. There's a lot of water coming through cause I don't have sarking. It's leaking through the ceiling, the ceiling is starting to discolour, the insulation is quite wet/damp and even some of the LED lights are wet from it. Is this normal? I'm concerned about the electrical devices being wet, but the roofer is saying it's fine and want to continue the job.

20221124_110444.jpg20221124_110811.jpg20221124_110415.jpg20221124_110629.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220905_133611.jpg  

Pressure cleaning a tiled roof, how can water not get in, abundantly too.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I would expect that it depends on the direction of the spray.

Sounds like cowboys, done properly the underneath should remain dry, assuming valleys, pointing and tiles are all ok. You do expect some water to get through but not as much as you have experienced

I think you're kick yourself in another 10 years if you paint it. If you really need it to look modern, reroof with Colourbond. Anyway that's my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I think you're kick yourself in another 10 years if you paint it
    Hmmm...can I ask why? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I am a bit on the fence about it. It's really my wife that wants it painted and she only thinks from an aesthetics perspective and not from a practical angle.

On a different but related note, there's a few water stains on the ceiling as you can see in the picture.

What will I need to do to remove the stains? I tried wiping it with a wet tissue but didn't do much. Do I just paint over it? Do I need to sand it or treat it first? Or does it need a replacement? The ceiling does not feel moist to touch but I am wondering if it will gather mould since it was wet before.

20221127_193135.jpg20221127_193108.jpg

Novice

If he used a “whirlaway” thats the cause if the excess water .

Hmmm...can I ask why? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I am a bit on the fence about it. It's really my wife that wants it painted and she only thinks from an aesthetics perspective and not from a practical angle.
    Because it will need ongoing painting, just like anything other painted surface exposed to the sun and weather.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post

Pressure cleaning of a tile roof always results in a lot of water in the ceiling no matter whether a wand or rotary is used.
    The front edge of the tile has to be cleaned resulting in water being forced under the join.
    And this usually means the ceiling may eventually start to drop and may need replacing.
    Not a good result.

And the paint will start peeling within 4 years as my neighbour found

Re:your neighbours peeling, was he given any warranties that he can claim the peeling against?

Jon
    Golden Member

Default Terracotta roof tile painting

Around 12 months ago my wife decided our concrete tile roof needed painting - I agree it looks faded but I was also aware of the issues and wanted to avoid it

So as we walked our dog I started pointing out crappy roof paint jobs in the neighbourhood including some that we had seen being done a few years previously. She decided against doing it