Hire the best Roofing Expert

Timber Fascia

Default Timber Fascia

I am probably over thinking this....but I am about to install tin cladding over a timber roof framed extension and have a couple of questions:

- where should the top of the timber fascia sit height wise? Equal with batten height?
    - if i use foam infill at the sheet ends, should this be installed on the last batten? or on top of the fascia.

Its a low pitch roof (6 degrees) so i want to get the ends right so i dont create problems down the track. I intend to 'turn down' the sheets as well.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capelli84 View Post
    I am probably over thinking this....but I am about to install tin cladding over a timber roof framed extension and have a couple of questions:

(1)- where should the top of the timber fascia sit height wise? Equal with batten height?
    (2)- if i use foam infill at the sheet ends, should this be installed on the last batten? or on top of the fascia.

Its a low pitch roof (6 degrees) so i want to get the ends right so i dont create problems down the track. I intend to 'turn down' the sheets as well.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
    (1) Correct
    (2) Usually level with the fascia but can be over the batten as long as the batten is hard against the fascia for bird/vermin proofing.

Are you using any reflective foil or blanket under the tin? I would highly recommend it (even for a shed) makes a big difference.

Thanks Cyclic!

And yes, its a house extension so definitely using anticon under the tin (purchased it yesterday). Also using batts between the rafters as its a raked ceiling with no ceiling space as such.

I think I will put foam infill above the fascia. At least that way water shouldn't get into the eaves, worst case is rotten fascia (although its painted H3). Im guessing the foam material is not ordinary foam and is water/pest resilient, and wont soak up water? Have seen some mention of birds attacking it, but that wont be any issue as there is no way a bird would reach it.

Cheers

What roofing profile are you using?

Normally you wouldn't bother with foam infill on the lower end of the roof sheeting, you are going to turn down the sheets.
    Normally the anticon is laid to stop at the inside edge of the fascia. It expands into the profile of the sheet, effectively doing the same as foam infill(not for water obviously),however that shouldn't be a problem with at least 50mm overlap into the gutter.
    Lashings will continue until morale improves.

Standard corrugated profile.

Its a low pitch so I am worried about water being drawn back up the underside of the sheets and behind the gutter. But yes, all going well the turn down should solve that problem. Im also worried about water coming into contact with the Anticon wool material.

The patio that I did a couple of years ago has the same sheeting and same pitch and is terrible for water running up the undersides and behind the gutter (didnt turn down or use foam infill). Its not causing any damage at the moment, but its on my agenda to fix it.

Is the foam infill resistant to water? I thought that was its job, especially at the ridge. Although I will 'turn up' at the ridge too as an added precaution.

thanks.

2K Club Member

[QUOTE=Im also worried about water coming into contact with the Anticon wool material.
    [/QUOTE]

The Bradford installation guide gives some specific instructions for installation of anti con blanket to avoid contact with water in gutters - one option is basically turning the edge up and over so the foil is outermost

See #3.5 and also see under Important Notes #4:
    http://bradfordinsulation.com.au/~/m...ion-Guide.ashx

Ah thanks for that.

I had read over the instructions but didnt see that in the notes section. Sounds like a good way of protecting the wool.

Good one joynz.
    Cut the anticon 150mm longer than the outside edge of fascia, cut the wool flush with the outside edge of fascia, leaving the foil & then fold it(along outside edge of fascia) carefully over itself. cool
    Forget my lazy suggestion of just cutting it off at fascia.
    Lashings will continue until morale improves.

The tin and anticon are done. The folding of the anticon worked really well, ended up doing it at all edges (except the ridge).

However, 'turning down' the corrugated iron was a bit of a fail, as i read elsewhere....it just tears. Any bright ideas? I suspect you just cant turn down CGI.....and so long as it is minimum 5 degree pitch you shouldnt need to anyway.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capelli84 View Post
    The tin and anticon are done. The folding of the anticon worked really well, ended up doing it at all edges (except the ridge).

However, 'turning down' the corrugated iron was a bit of a fail, as i read elsewhere....it just tears. Any bright ideas? I suspect you just cant turn down CGI.....and so long as it is minimum 5 degree pitch you shouldnt need to anyway.
    Depends what you tried to turn down with. If you get water tracking back under the sheets you might need to put a small amount of Silicone on the underside of the turn dow so the water has something to run down.
    I did this once on a 1 degree roof and it worked fine.

I used a medium-large pair of multigrips. I was thinking of using something wider but im not sure i have anything.

It actually rained a bit yesterday and it didnt look like it was running back underneath the sheets. While up on the roof i think i worked why I was having problems with the patio roof, i had recycled some old jarrah beams which were a little bit twisted, the result is that the sheeting kicks up a little bit where it goes into the gutter, the result is a pitch of <5 degrees at the sheet ends. I dont have this problem with the house extension roof, so it should be ok without turned down ends. I might do the silicone trick anyway, to be sure to be sure.

thanks, hope this info is useful for others.