Hire the best Roofing Expert

Warped verandah plate

Default Warped verandah plate

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of input. My house has a 2m verandah all the way around and in a couple of places the verandah plate which is also the fascia has warped over time to the point were there is a 20mm gap between it and the eave lining. There does appear to be an internal board joining the rafters and there are bolts both through this, the verandah plate and the support posts so they're not going anywhere. The verandah plates are 8m long using 150x50 HW Ff14 and sit on and bolted to a notched post every 4m.

I am trying to decide where to replace the warped plates if i can find similar boards, or alternatively whether i could replace the 8m spans with 4m spans.

Also, the other option could be to screw from the outside of the verandah plate inwards to help reduce any more warping and ensure that is maintains contact with the internal plate and cover the gap with a wider bead on the eaves.

Has anyone done this type of replacement before?

Added a couple of pics for clarity.

Thanks

John20210310_072520.jpg20210310_072453.jpg20210310_072416.jpg20210310_072355.jpg

What construction is inside the roof space ?
    I would have expected with a covered roof that the fascia would be attached to the end of the rafters, not sure how it could bow out like that unless it is not fixed to anything in the roof space and only to the posts.

That is a very good question and one that i should know. If i remember correctly there is another board that runs from post to post that the rafters connect to using joist hangers. I just can remember whether the bolt goes through them as well. I will look for some more pics.

J

Ok so i took a couple of roof sheets off and some guttering at the corner so i could get a better look at how things are attached. The rafters do attach to the facia using the bolts and joist hangers. The joists in the middle of the span are not attached using full joist hangers so the bottom of the facias looked to have warped at this point.

I guess a few acrow props across each span will allow me to replace the facias. The facias are 190x50 F14 hardwood not 150x50 as i originally thought so sourcing 8m lengths should be fun, or would 4m ones post to post be sufficient?

My only concern with 4m spans is that each end would need to overlap the next one so there is not as much wood sitting on each of the 2 post. With the 8m spans they span 3 posts so the full thickness of the wood is sat on the middle post.

Any recommendations/thoughts would be appreciated.
    John

image1-1.jpgimage2-1.jpg20210320_151258.jpg

Unless there is a problem with the beam, eg rot, I would simply replace the timber trim at the edge of the lining board with a wider one. If needed scribe the trim to fit the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Unless there is a problem with the beam, eg rot, I would simply replace the timber trim at the edge of the lining board with a wider one. If needed scribe the trim to fit the gap.
    No the wood is fine, just the big gap. I'll see if i can lift the eaves up a little and screw into them from the front so hopefully stop any more movement. I can probably fashion a new piece of trim to replace the one there although due to the angle it would sit lower than the facia so i'll have to thing of something innovative.

J

Quote Originally Posted by johnnt View Post
    No the wood is fine, just the big gap. I'll see if i can lift the eaves up a little and screw into them from the front so hopefully stop any more movement. I can probably fashion a new piece of trim to replace the one there although due to the angle it would sit lower than the facia so i'll have to thing of something innovative.

J

For clarity I am suggesting to remove this trim and install one wider that covers the gap.
    trim.jpg
    The trim will be nailed to the batten that is seen in your other pictures. If due to the angle the trim does extend lower it will only be a few mm at most, a quick once over with a plane or sander will remove any lip.
    Also be mindful of the eave lining sheet, it is potentially AC sheet. Perfectly fine if not disturbed but do not drill or sand it if it is.