Hire the best Electrician and save up to 40%

Good suppliers for LED panels in Aus?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Good suppliers for LED panels in Aus?

Hi, I'm shopping around for a load of LED panels/units to retrofit a house, so I'm looking around for suppliers in Australia. Although a quick web search pulls up lots of online suppliers, it's harder to track down the exact specs I'm looking for. I'm looking for the following attributes:

Non-recessed / surface mountable on the ceiling to reduce cutting of the ceiling.

Passive LED arrays, ie no integrated power supplies, as I will be taking care of the driving circuitry elsewhere. LED strips/tapes with the resistors are not suitable, but I don't mind the look of those extruded aluminium housings used to hold them.

Colour temp 4000K-5000K

High CRI is strongly preferred, ie >=90

Size can be flexible, I'm looking to create a large surface area of light, so if the panels are 1200x300mm I'd use a few, but if they're smaller I'll just use more of them.

Thanks for any suggestions. Even when stores have a "datasheet" it's surprising how much information is left out.

Hi Jonno, be good if you would change your profile location from Australia to be more specific, state level as a minimum. It helps with regs, services, products etc for any advice.

Apprentice (new member)

Cool it's updated, I'm in ACT, so any shipping from NSW, QLD or Victoria would be ok.

1K Club Member

I recently bought a 1200 x 600 to turn into a light table for the wifes' studio online...and when there was a problem with the power supply they replied with a question asking for the EC number of the installer.
    For a PLUG IN unit... I sent the specs to an Ebay seller and received a working replacement in a couple of weeks for $14.00

With all of your requirements I'd seriously suggest a visit to a physical store...

And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    I recently bought a 1200 x 600 to turn into a light table for the wifes' studio online...and when there was a problem with the power supply they replied with a question asking for the EC number of the installer.
    For a PLUG IN unit...
    I'm guessing the power supply was purchased within the last year? If so I'd check with consumer law to see where you stand, as far too many retailers add additional stipulations hindering warranties, terms that are not supported by consumer law.

1K Club Member

Jonno...
    for $14.00 I could not be a#$ed to get into the whole argument... If a company's first reply is a Q about who fitted a plug in unit, you know their focus is NOT on the customer but on making it as hard as possible.
    All I can do is not recommend them and not purchase from them again...and I'm about to buy a heap for my shed refit..

As someone wise once said "Life's too short"
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Apprentice (new member)

The Ledvance (Osram) panels are decent in my experience, but won't meet your requirement of >= 90 CRI. They do have an external power supply though, so you could easily remove this and wire in your own DC power supply (will void warranty). Surface mount is possible but with an add-on kit.

And if you're struggling to find CRI in product specs, R9 ratings are even harder to come by (that's how well the light renders red colours, which is not measured in CRI).

At least your choice of colour temp gives you some more options. At 3000K it's much harder as it's an uncommon choice in the commercial settings where these lights are most often used.

Have you tried going into a few stores to see what's out there? Commercial suppliers will probably have more options for panel lighting but not sure if you'd have much luck with them if you're just doing a residential fit out.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the suggestions. A while back I picked up a bunch of suitable panels from a group called Ozlite in Victoria. I'm guessing they primarily do commercial installations, but they sold to me no issues. They were >90 CRI, low glare and actually have 2 arrays of LEDs, one at 3000K and another at 6000K, which can also be blended to give around 4000K.

However, the renovation project escalated drastically and now the panels sit in storage while the house gets an overhaul.