Hire the best Waterproofing Expert

concrete patch in shower, should i use a bond breaker?

Apprentice (new member)

Default concrete patch in shower, should i use a bond breaker?

Title pretty much sums it up.
    Concrete slab, ground floor house. Repaired the waste pipe in my shower, and patched up the concrete.
    As i am planning to waterproof the slab below the screed, would it be recommended to use a bond breaking system over this patch? If so, can you recommend a product?

Thanks

No reason to break the bond of your membrane over a repair patch.
    Are you putting a leak control flange in under your screed?

1K Club Member

Bond breakers are used in areas of suspected movement (eg. wall and floor junctions), they prevent the waterproofing membrane from cracking and creating a possible leak path if movement does occur. All the bond breaker does is spread the movement over a larger area of the membrane. I'm trying to think of a better way to describe this - Ok here goes. If you get a rubber band and pinch it with your fingers and thumbs as close together as you can and stretch it, it won't stretch far before it breaks. Now if you use the same rubber band but this time with a 15mm gap you will find it stretches a lot further before it breaks. Think of your finger placement as the mating surfaces of the wall floor junction, the silicone bead allows the membrane to take the movement over total length of the bond breaker(fingers apart). Without the bond breaker silicone bead, there would be a sharp corner and all the movement would be made right in the corner because the membrane is stuck to both surfaces and the membrane would break where the movement occurs(fingers together). There is no reason a patch done in a concrete slab would move if done properly, so as RA says above it's not needed.
    A lot of DIY people know about bond breakers, but don't understand their function. If you understand the function I think you always do a better job
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Apprentice (new member)

thanks for the replies. and the description of the bond breaker was great thanks.