Hire the best Waterproofing Expert

ezilay shower tray and drain question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Apprentice (new member)

Question ezilay shower tray and drain question

I have layed the ezilay system but having doubts about the drain. The space for the puddle flange leaves a gap between the cap and the lip of the shower tray of about 50mm around the cap. What should I use to fill in this space? As this is a reno on concret and not too familiar with the doing a morter bed I used the ezilay preformed system sold at Highgroves. It was easy to place after blunting my saw completly but did save time and fiddling around with getting falls in the morter based shower systems. BUT still not sure of what to do with the drain. I bought a wondercap retro puddle flange as the only one that was flat not funneled. The height will be fine with the depth of the ezilay sytem and the tiles but there is this gap. What to do
    Please advise.
    Has anone used this before?
    cheers Doodling

2K Club Member

You fit the puddle flange then waterproof then the gap is filled with tile glue when you tile.

I am fitting one at the moment. Should be able to post a pic in the next day or so after the cup weekend.

Apprentice (new member)

Default puddle flange and gap

Quote Originally Posted by goldie1 View Post
    You fit the puddle flange then waterproof then the gap is filled with tile glue when you tile.

I am fitting one at the moment. Should be able to post a pic in the next day or so after the cup weekend.
    I look forward to your pictures. Always makes it easier to work things out with a view of it
    doodling

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by doodling View Post
    I look forward to your pictures. Always makes it easier to work things out with a view of it
    doodling
    Hope these help

pict0001.jpg pict0001.jpg pict0001.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

Default Good views. Is this a timber floor?

Could you she me the type of drain you are putting in as well

Hope these help

2K Club Member

Yes its a timber frame. Flooring is Hardies Scyon and walls are villaboard. In pic 2 at the bottom of the

vertical prongs on the puddle flange you can see some small lugs. The grate is cut to the tile hight and sits

on the lugs. This leaves a small gap for any water between the tiles and the waterproofing to drain.

I will get a pic when I am there today.

2K Club Member

pict0001.jpg pict0001.jpg

The grate is cut to tile height before fitting

3K Club Member

Hack sawing a few slots in the ring under grate will also help drainage of trapped water.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Novice

Sorry to drag up an old thread.
    I'm thinking of using this system in a new shower on a flat concrete slab surrounded on three sides with timber stud walls.
    In the above example done by "goldie1" I was wondering how you are dealing with the exposed edges ie the ones not against a wall.
    It doesn't look like you are using a hob. Will you just tile upto the tray and then on top of the tray?
    With mine I'd like to try and do the entry part without a hob. Could I use a piece of ali angle against this edge of the tray?
    Also would like to know if the tray is laid first and then the villa board on walls run down onto the top of the tray, or villa board first then the tray against it?
    Sorry for all the questions and hope I'm making sense!
    Thanks and regards
    Simon

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterscum View Post
    Sorry to drag up an old thread.
    I'm thinking of using this system in a new shower on a flat concrete slab surrounded on three sides with timber stud walls.
    In the above example done by "goldie1" I was wondering how you are dealing with the exposed edges ie the ones not against a wall.
    It doesn't look like you are using a hob. Will you just tile upto the tray and then on top of the tray?
    With mine I'd like to try and do the entry part without a hob. Could I use a piece of ali angle against this edge of the tray?
    Also would like to know if the tray is laid first and then the villa board on walls run down onto the top of the tray, or villa board first then the tray against it?
    Sorry for all the questions and hope I'm making sense!
    Thanks and regards
    Simon
    G'day Simon. On this job I was using a frame less glass screen so the Skyon flooring and the shower

tray are finished at the same height. The water stop angle which you can see is finished above the

same as the floor tile thickness so after tiling it is all flush for the glass screen to be sealed on top

of the angle. The tray is fitted before the wall sheet. What type of screen are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by doodling View Post
    Could you she me the type of drain you are putting in as well
    Can I ask about the water stops?

I am going to use this for my shower at home and plan on tiling straight through (waterproofed of course) with a framless shower screen - did you put water stops in, if so at what point before or after the shower tray was fitted - cant see them in the instructions?

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbarrett76 View Post
    Can I ask about the water stops?

I am going to use this for my shower at home and plan on tiling straight through (waterproofed of course) with a framless shower screen - did you put water stops in, if so at what point before or after the shower tray was fitted - cant see them in the instructions?
    The water stop angle around the shower is there to separate the tiles inside the shower from the tiles

on the outside of the shower. The shower tray and the Scyon flooring are installed so they finish

flush with each other. With a frame less screen the water stop is then fitted so the top of the angle

is flush with the top of the tiles. You seal it to the floor and walls with Sika. You then waterproof.

The screen is fitted on top of the water stop. With frame less screens I also fit a water bar

under the screen door on top of the tiles. This is a small metal bar shaped like a speed bump.

You also need a water stop across the bathroom door sealed with Sika to the floor and door frame.

Novice

The water stop angle around the shower is there to separate the tiles inside the shower from the tiles

on the outside of the shower. The shower tray and the Scyon flooring are installed so they finish

flush with each other. With a frame less screen the water stop is then fitted so the top of the angle

is flush with the top of the tiles. You seal it to the floor and walls with Sika. You then waterproof.

The screen is fitted on top of the water stop. With frame less screens I also fit a water bar

under the screen door on top of the tiles. This is a small metal bar shaped like a speed bump.

You also need a water stop across the bathroom door sealed with Sika to the floor and door frame.

G,day there just wondering if this tile tray is similar to the marble trends one here Tile Tray | Marbletrend - Leading Designer Bathrooms

If so just wondering what the gray stuff in your pics are you have layed before you waterproofed?

Sorry for total vagueness - but very new to this and just trying to figure out how to waterproof one of these.

Cheers

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by bennyddd View Post
    G,day there just wondering if this tile tray is similar to the marble trends one here Tile Tray | Marbletrend - Leading Designer Bathrooms

If so just wondering what the gray stuff in your pics are you have laid before you waterproofed?

Yes the tray was placed prior to waterproofing, bit the waterproofing on the outside extends up the external angle so no problems.

You could install yours the same way, just add the angles after the tray is placed and the wall sheets have been secured, his will minimise any movement. Note: you might have to trim a littler off the foot plate to get sheets to fit neatly to the shower base, leave a small 5 mm gap between the bottom of the sheet and the base of the new shower tray.

Sorry for total vagueness - but very new to this and just trying to figure out how to waterproof one of these.

Cheers
    Good luck and fair winds.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

2K Club Member

If so just wondering what the gray stuff in your pics are you have layed before you waterproofed?

Cheers
    The marbletrend one is structural i.e. it can be fitted directly on the joists. You would fit the tray first

then fit the flooring up to it sealing the junction with Sika 11FC The ezilay one is non structural

i.e. it has to be supported by flooring. The marbletrend one has an inbuilt puddle flange the ezilay one

you have to fit the puddle flange.

The "grey stuff " I assume you mean the flooring and wall sheet. The floor is Hardies Skyon and

the walls are villaboard.

The marbletrend one is structural i.e. it can be fitted directly on the joists. You would fit the tray first

then fit the flooring up to it sealing the junction with Sika 11FC
    Yes, though waterproofing around it seems a bit sus!

Novice

Hey guys thanks for the info. The gray stuff I was asking about was in the photos above, actually laid inside the shower tray before the green membrane was in there... Was thinking that may have been another form of waterproofing?

So If I seal everything up - wall to tray, wall to wall and nail holes with Sika the waterproofing should go on ok over the top of the Sika?

Thanks again

2K Club Member

Hey guys thanks for the info. The gray stuff I was asking about was in the photos above, actually laid inside the shower tray before the green membrane was in there... Was thinking that may have been another form of waterproofing?

So If I seal everything up - wall to tray, wall to wall and nail holes with Sika the waterproofing should go on ok over the top of the Sika?

Thanks again
    The grey stuff is the showertray

Yes the water proofing is fine over Sika but if you use Sika at the wall to floor and wall corner

joints you have to use the reinforcing bandage with the built in bond breaker

http://www.crommelin.com.au/range/at...-bond-breaker/

Novice

Righto. Again thanks heaps for the info. So I take it the reinforcing bandage is fine to go over the Sika as well?

Righto. Again thanks heaps for the info. So I take it the reinforcing bandage is fine to go over the Sika as well?
    When using with polyurethane type sealants like Sika..xxx, you need to use a bond breaker with the bandage.

2K Club Member

Yes. Use that link I gave you and you will see a video at the bottom of the page on how to waterproof

a shower

Novice

Hey guys I have bought everything for the job. Basically just prepping still, filling over nail head etc.

Question 1. I used villaboard with this job, just wondering at the villaboard+villaboard joints (besides corners where is will use sika) looking at using paper tape and base coat followed by wet area joint compound... just wondering if this would be ok? Or could I get away with fibreglass tape? If not why?

Question 2. I have villaboard on all walls, it is going to be tiled wall to ceiling (not by me thankgod) ... anyhow should I even bother joining these other areas as will be covered by tiles anyhow and shower is enclosed with a screen anyway?

2K Club Member

Hey guys I have bought everything for the job. Basically just prepping still, filling over nail head etc.

Question 1. I used villaboard with this job, just wondering at the villaboard+villaboard joints (besides corners where is will use sika) looking at using paper tape and base coat followed by wet area joint compound... just wondering if this would be ok? Or could I get away with fibreglass tape? If not why?

Question 2. I have villaboard on all walls, it is going to be tiled wall to ceiling (not by me thankgod) ... anyhow should I even bother joining these other areas as will be covered by tiles anyhow and shower is enclosed with a screen anyway?
    Under all tiled areas the villaboard manufacturers recommend joins be taped and base coat.
    I use paper tape as its stronger then mesh tape.

Instead of waterproof compound (eek) just use standard stuff and for good measure 1 coat of waterproofing over the wall areas susceptible to being wet.

Novice

Righto thanks again. Will try post some photos when it's done. Cheers

Novice

image.jpgFirst coat waterproofing. Used gripset primer, membrane and crommelin bond breakers. Used gripset membrane sleeve's around taps. Anyone else think villaboard really soaks up the membrane?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

2K Club Member

You will use a lot less on the second coat. You have to do the full floor area not just the shower area.

Walls in wet area only but all the floor and all the wall / floor junction plus the inside of the

angle across the door.

Novice

I've been told I need to do 150 up all the walls as well?

2K Club Member

I've been told I need to do 150 up all the walls as well?
    I think from memory the standard is 75mm but this is a minimum requirement so if you want to go

higher no probs. You jobs looking good those sleeves for the plumbing are a great

product. What sort of screen are you using?

Novice

Cheers!

its basically a fully enclosed, with a swinging door. Not looking forward to drilling through tile to battens to secure the shower screen

2K Club Member

Novice

Legend!

Look around, Bunnings is such a rip-off for these. Aldi sold a set sometime back for much less

or

3mm Marble Tile Glass Drill Bits Tungsten Carbide China Ceramic Hole SAW | eBay

many more on ebay.

Novice

Sometimes it's all about convenience, and availability when you live in hobart! Cheers anyhow

Novice

Long time overdue but this was finished some time ago bathroom-23.jpeg

Long time overdue but this was finished some time ago
    Fantastic!

2K Club Member

Nice very smick

Novice

Cheers guys and thanks again for your help!

Apprentice (new member)

impressive. well done, the floor looks great. The colors are great too
    cheers doodling

Looks great

Novice

Cheers!

Apprentice (new member)

Hi goldie1,

Sorry to resurrect this thread...
    Just wanted to clarify. Are there 2 water stop angles around a hobless shower and then another one at the entrance to the bathroom?
    Also, what materials are people using for water stops? Just some 1mm thick angle from your local aluminium dealer or something specific?

does anyone screed over Scyon secura when preparing a shower base with a linear drain?

One last question - is it common practice in VIC to angle the bathroom floor towards the shower drain to prevent pooling?

Thanks.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by thenewmrt View Post
    Hi goldie1,

Sorry to resurrect this thread...
    Just wanted to clarify. Are there 2 water stop angles around a hobless shower and then another one at the entrance to the bathroom?
    Also, what materials are people using for water stops? Just some 1mm thick angle from your local aluminium dealer or something specific?

does anyone screed over Scyon secura when preparing a shower base with a linear drain?

One last question - is it common practice in VIC to angle the bathroom floor towards the shower drain to prevent pooling?

Thanks.
    There is one water stop bar around a shower. For a frame less screen it finishes flush with the tiles.

For a screen with a frame it finishes above the tiles.

The second bar I referred to is fitted on top of the tiles under the glass door of a frame less screen

only. It is the shape of a speed bump and is used because frame less screens commonly leak through

the gaps to the sides and under the door especially with kids splashing water round.

The bar that finishes the tiles across the bathroom door is also a water stop and is sealed to the

floor and door frame.

1mm al angle is fine to use and skyon can be screeded if needed

If you have a floor waste (ie a 1st floor bathroom has to have a floor waste) you have a fall from the

shower door to the shower waste and a fall from the shower door and the room perimeter to the

floor waste. A ground floor bathroom doesn't have to have a floor waste so you can have a

fall towards the shower if you want or commonly just have the floor level with a fall only

inside the shower

Apprentice (new member)

There is one water stop bar around a shower. For a frame less screen it finishes flush with the tiles.

For a screen with a frame it finishes above the tiles.

The second bar I referred to is fitted on top of the tiles under the glass door of a frame less screen

only. It is the shape of a speed bump and is used because frame less screens commonly leak through

the gaps to the sides and under the door especially with kids splashing water round.

The bar that finishes the tiles across the bathroom door is also a water stop and is sealed to the

floor and door frame.

1mm al angle is fine to use and skyon can be screeded if needed

If you have a floor waste (ie a 1st floor bathroom has to have a floor waste) you have a fall from the

shower door to the shower waste and a fall from the shower door and the room perimeter to the

floor waste. A ground floor bathroom doesn't have to have a floor waste so you can have a

fall towards the shower if you want or commonly just have the floor level with a fall only

inside the shower
    Great. Thanks goldie1. Makes sense. It's a ground floor bathroom. Thinking of trimming the joists at an angle and installing Scyon to get the fall. It would be in one direction due to large format tile constraints. So - one half of the bathroom on an angle.
    Does this sort of thing sound feasible or is it better just to screed?

Also - how to people build their subfloors for the shower? Is it FC on the bottom and sides?

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by thenewmrt View Post
    Great. Thanks goldie1. Makes sense. It's a ground floor bathroom. Thinking of trimming the joists at an angle and installing Scyon to get the fall. It would be in one direction due to large format tile constraints. So - one half of the bathroom on an angle.
    Does this sort of thing sound feasible or is it better just to screed?

Also - how to people build their subfloors for the shower? Is it FC on the bottom and sides?
    Answered your first question in the bathroom forum

Don't quite understand your second question. Do you mean the floor and wall sheeting in the shower

Floors I use Skyon or Durafloor and walls villaboard but waterproof plasterboard is also common

Long time overdue but this was finished some time ago
    Looks good, good choice of tiles and colors

You must have the flashiest bathroom in the Neighbourhood.
    I like the darker feature wall, we always do this when doing up a bathroom.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Default ezilay shower tray and drain question

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    Looks good, good choice of tiles and colors

You must have the flashiest bathroom in the Neighbourhood.
    I like the darker feature wall, we always do this when doing up a bathroom.
    Are you stalking me? You just bumped a thread that I was researching in earlier today. :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by OBBob View Post
    Are you stalking me? You just bumped a thread that I was researching in earlier today. :eek:
    Please Explain

2617298-3x2-940x627.jpg

Default ezilay shower tray and drain question

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    Please Explain

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2617298-3x2-940x627.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	111963
    T'was just weird... I was reading this thread earlier and then you responded to it (almost a year after the last post). Anyway, it does look good.

Ha Ha Ha, watch out (playing JAWS music) Ha Ha Ha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast