Hire the best Waterproofing Expert

French doors leading into a shower room. How to minimise water damage?

Novice

Default French doors leading into a shower room. How to minimise water damage?

Good morning.

We're going to undertake a bathroom renovation on an old weatherboard Victorian. The current bathroom in the house is situated in a leanto and is pretty unusable.

we'd like to change the current bathroom to a shower room (including bath) and open up a new door. This door will open up to the older part of the house and will contain the WC and vanity.

Question. What is the best way for me to tackle expansion and moisture for the French doors we'd like to put in? Should we explore solid timber with say a Sugar pine or Canadian Red Pine? (I hear these timbers are light and have less issues with expansion). Or would I be better off saving my money and just use ventilation and a good paint and multiple coatings of marine varnish? Also hinges for the doors? Any suggestions for a area that will have temperature changes and potential high levels of humidity? :O

kind regards

EDIT: Also the new "shower room" will be 1.75 x 2.8 and about 2.7 high. So certainly some room and the door won't be getting direct water sprayed onto it.

Default Re: French doors leading into a shower room. How to minimise water damage?

I would have thought they would be ok if you sealed them properly and took care to ensure the ventilation is doing its job. Stainless steel ball bearing hinges are have a nice action and would probably work well in your application.

Novice

Thanks for your help. Should make shopping for doors a little easier.

3K Club Member

Two possible ways to do this that I would consider.

1. Don't install French doors. A couple of the wet area concertina doors look very nice, come in a multitude of colours and patterns and are not bothered even they get very wet.

2. If you must have French doors, and them well and part round any sharp corners, then wipe them with Acetone and coat them with at least 3 coats of epoxy resin, minimum 24 hours between coats and MUST be tack free before coating. Also needs a another light sanding between coats 3oo grit is fine, and another wipe with clean white rags and acetone.

When the 3 coats have been applied, you to give them another light sant and wipe with acetone then apply at least 4 to 5 coats of a high UV blocking varnish, because all epoxies tend to turn a yellowish brown if exposed to UV light.

The above will prevent any moisture getting into the timber (provided you have covered every part) for many years, the only maintenance will be to sand, wipe and re coat, perhaps 2 coats of varnish when looks a bit shabby or gets damaged.

Good luck and fair winds.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html