Hire the best Waterproofing Expert

Outdoor deck / terrace tiling

Novice

Default Outdoor deck / terrace tiling

Sorry for the crappy photos, but it's dark already and looking for answers is driving me crazy so I need to post now!

Want to tile the small (4x2m) terrace/outdoor deck, which currently comprises 4 large, thick/heavy duty sheets of some kind. There's basically no 'bounce'.

There are 4 joints between the sheets through which a tiny amount of leaking occurs.

I believe I need at least a 2 degree fall, so first question is, how do I control and measure that when I apply the waterproofing membrane?

Second, do I need to seal the joints with reinforcing fabric/tape?

Third, is there such a thing as outdoor waterproofing membrane?

Thanks!
    ====

I'm not a building Engineer, but I'd suggest you get one in because in my mind that doesn't look too well constructed (for an elevated deck).
    Maybe it's just that I've seen too many of these elevated decks collapse lately.

Am I alone in this opinion?

You are spot on UB, those 90x45 joist span 2 meters, wrong to begin with. If you add cement bed to give it some fall and tiles, it will collapse under it's own weight.
    And the balcony on top of it, propped up with sticks sitting on the lower veranda?
    From where I am standing that is a demolition job, certainly not a tiling job.

Beyond the structural aspects of what you're trying to do - which may put too much weight on the structure - you've got a second issue. There is no real way of building up the height on that deck without ending up with the tiles sitting higher than the entrance to the house, which would likely end up a waterproofing issue.

I'd recommend you get a builder to reconstruct the deck to ensure structural stability and allow for a grade which won't end up with the tiles/screed sitting higher than the inside of the house.
    The WaterStop Shop
    waterproofing supply professionals
    Oakleigh, VIC

Novice

Default Outdoor deck / terrace tiling

There's about a 30mm height difference.

Sounds like I'd need a sand and cement base? How thick would it need to be?

====

Hi Kenigma,

Generally they need to be thick enough to allow for a 1:100 fall. A standard screed mix (3:1 sand:cement) needs to be at least about 35mm thick to avoid crumbling. You can add something in to screeds such as Gripset 11Y to reduce the minimum height, or perhaps use a polymer modified screed such as Gripset C-Bed to enable a feather edge type of finish.

Either way - you really should consider the reconstruction of the area to do what you need.
    The WaterStop Shop
    waterproofing supply professionals
    Oakleigh, VIC

You don't need a bedding for the tiles like it is done in a bathroom. You achieve that by building the deck with the correct size joist at a bit of a fall and then place Scyon on them and glue the tiles to it.
    What you want to do is asking for trouble, not to mention that it will crack as soon as you walk on it and the unsuitable joist flex. The balcony merits a mention too. Make sure your home insurance does not see this photos.

Well, I suppose you could cut short the front support to lower the deck, get fall that way and forget about screed; and yes you can use waterproofing in external applications with some tiler's plastic angle before tiling.