Hire the best Waterproofing Expert

recommendation - best bathroom waterproofing system - movement joints

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    goulburn, australia
    Posts
    112

    Default recommendation - best bathroom waterproofing system - movement joints

    Hi - Im after recommendations please as to the best bathroom waterproofing system for:
    • shower over bath,
    • cement floor
    • an old double brick house on highly reactive clay soils. Movement and cracks are par for the course for old houses in this town.


    I've installed a 6mm supported gap in the villaboard where there was a crack in the bricks underneath (corner of a window) - which I'll treat as a movement joint .
    Will use a bondbreaking tape on the movement joint, and silicone everywhere else as a bondbreaker.

    Looking for the 'best' waterproofing system for this job - the front runners appear to be Ardex, Davco K10 and Crommelin (and Betta??)......are all waterproofing systems equal?
    thanks

  2. #2
    Member wspivak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Oakleigh, VIC
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Hi debunk,

    What you should look out for is the waterproofing membrane should be tested by CSIRO (or similar) to be AS4858 compliant. A class III membrane (over 300% elasticity) would be ideal for what you're doing.

    However, end of the day the system you're using is important and following the manufacturers instructions is vital as often times people will use a good membrane but fail to adhere to the instructions on how to install it.

    I would recommend the Gripset range (Gripset Betta is the retail system available in many hardware stores) as it incorporates a butyl rubber tape which is both a bond breaker and reinforcing system in one capable of absorbing a great deal of potential movement in areas prone to such.

    If you're interested in the Gripset trade range, you'll need the following:

    Gripset 38FC (waterproofing membrane)
    Gripset GP Primer
    Gripset Elastoproof B10/B50 tape
    Gripset Butyl Square (if needed for going over leak control flange interfaces)
    Gripset Collars (for use around tap & shower head penetrations)

    Best of luck!
    The WaterStop Shop
    waterproofing supply professionals
    Oakleigh, VIC

  3. #3
    Je pense, donc METRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sydney North
    Posts
    9,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wspivak View Post
    Hi debunk,

    What you should look out for is the waterproofing membrane should be tested by CSIRO (or similar) to be AS4858 compliant. A class III membrane (over 300% elasticity) would be ideal for what you're doing.

    However, end of the day the system you're using is important and following the manufacturers instructions is vital as often times people will use a good membrane but fail to adhere to the instructions on how to install it.

    I would recommend the Gripset range (Gripset Betta is the retail system available in many hardware stores) as it incorporates a butyl rubber tape which is both a bond breaker and reinforcing system in one capable of absorbing a great deal of potential movement in areas prone to such.

    If you're interested in the Gripset trade range, you'll need the following:

    Gripset 38FC (waterproofing membrane)
    Gripset GP Primer
    Gripset Elastoproof B10/B50 tape
    Gripset Butyl Square (if needed for going over leak control flange interfaces)
    Gripset Collars (for use around tap & shower head penetrations)

    Best of luck!
    Finally someone on here that knows what they are taking about when it comes to waterproofing

    I have been using the gripset tapes for years, 100% leak roof if installed correctly,

    I wouldn't use any other system
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    goulburn, australia
    Posts
    112

    Default

    hi and thanks to both of you for your recommendation. Davco K10 appears most popular here in this town, so it's good to know Gripset Betta is actually a better product for movable structures.......

    I've just been trying to find the Gripset range in my local stores here, and the complete range is not stocked. They have the tape and collars, but not the 38FC or the GP Primer. wspivak - do you know if the collars and tape can be used with other WP products? I can check with their technical team.........

  5. #5
    Je pense, donc METRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sydney North
    Posts
    9,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by debunk View Post
    hi and thanks to both of you for your recommendation. It's funny, here where I am Gripset Betta would be around number 4 on that list, most people here use Davco K10. I've already used Betta Bitumen to coat H3 sleepers (outdoors) and was impressed - easy to use and clean up, good results

    I'll look into that set of products you've mentioned wspivak
    They probably use K10 because they get it from Bunnings, I have used it on plenty of bathrooms and like it, same as Cromellin membrane.
    Irrespective of the membrane used, I always use the gripset tape and preformed corners as explained above, you can purchase them from a waterproofing shop or Bunnings.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    goulburn, australia
    Posts
    112

    Default

    yeah, funny what you say about K10. Bet the sales reps offer hefty kickbacks for being featured at Bunnings.....
    OK, that's what I wanted to know about compatibility of the Gripset tapes with other WPM products - I can only find the gripset tapes here, not the rest of the system

  7. #7
    Je pense, donc METRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sydney North
    Posts
    9,388

    Default

    Look in the tiling section as well as the glue section they put them in two locations depending on the store.

    https://www.bunnings.com.au/waterpro...betta_p0960174
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

  8. #8
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    16,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    Irrespective of the membrane used, I always use the gripset tape and preformed corners as explained above, you can purchase them from a waterproofing shop or Bunnings.

Similar Threads

  1. Flush door system recommendation similar to Ezy jamb
    By kksmith in forum Doors, Windows, Architraves & Skirts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd May 2017, 04:41 PM
  2. Bathroom with movement...solutions?
    By soph in forum Bathrooms
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th Mar 2015, 09:38 PM
  3. Bathroom recommendation please
    By StrataStruggler in forum Bathrooms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th Jun 2012, 07:22 AM
  4. Plumber Recommendation - New Hot Water System
    By deltoid in forum Plumbing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th Sep 2009, 08:03 AM
  5. bathroom reno - Waterproofing recommendation
    By macmen in forum Bathrooms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th Aug 2008, 02:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •