Hire the best Waterproofing Expert

Waterproofing - wall frames and concrete next to pool

Novice

Default Waterproofing - wall frames and concrete next to pool

Hello

I have a swimming pool that is built very close to my house (approx. 450mm). The house is double storey, brick veneer (rendered over) on the lower storey and foam/render on the upper storey.

The walls themselves are constructed using standard MGP10.

I am nervous about water splash from the pool, seeping through the render and rotting the timber wall frames and now is my chance to do something preventative about it.

I'm also nervous water pooling on the slab rebate in the 40mm cavity between wall frame and brick work, even though I will have DPC + weepholes present.

I've researched bitumen waterproofing membranes (like this one Gripset Betta Bitumen Rubber Waterproofing Membrane 4L | Mitre 10) which seem fairly straight forward to apply and can be used on both concrete and timber surfaces. They also appear flexible so shouldn't crack under normal house movement.

Plan is to prep accordingly, apply a primer then 2-3 coats of this onto the timber frame and 40mm concrete cavity.

Is this the product you would recommend using? Will it leak or crack over time?

Or am I on the complete wrong path here.

Photo attached on the link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yBI...ew?usp=sharing

The bottom of the wall on the weather side of a house will often get wet due to driven rain without needing waterproofing internally in the wall cavity.
    If you are still concerned due to excessive water splash I would think addressing and protecting it externally is far better than letting the water get into the render and brickwork in the first place. If the water is above the DPC then you have potential for rising damp continuing up the wall.

Have you had moisture readings done to see if you have an issue ?

Novice

Thanks for the response. Iím at framing stage, so no moisture readings are possible yet. Pool is installed but under a scaffold rated cover. Im just concerned and have an opportunity to do something about it now. Not sure what people normally do when pools are built so close to the home. I know that the render can be sealed to improve water resistance, which I will do, but aside from that thereís not much I can do externally to bolster water resistance.

Thinking more about it since originally posting, would it be a good idea to install some cement sheet across the frame work then apply the bitumen over that? This would create a waterproof barrier rather than relying on sisalation only.

Are you building on slab? And do you have set down for the bricks ?

Default Waterproofing - wall frames and concrete next to pool

The render and paint is adequate. You won’t get issues. Just make sure weep holes and DPC are properly constructed. You could check with the renderer if any additional additives are needed. I wouldn’t apply bitumen. You could apply a wood preservative but focus on the render.

lk