Hills Heritage hoist case bolts

Apprentice (new member)

Default Hills Heritage hoist case bolts

Sorry for having to create yet another thread on the subject, but I need to repair a Hills Heritage hoist. The hoist in question is located quite some distance from me, and I really need to ascertain the size of the 8 bolts used to hold the case halves together. I ideally want to have some replacement bolts with me, as I can envision the existing bolts being damaged upon removal, due to rust and other corrosion.

So please, can anyone advise me what the size of the 8 case bolts are? I have emailed the hoist OEM, but was hoping perhaps that someone on these forums might also know.

TIA

Remembering back to the one my parents had I would have initially said 5/16.

After a bit of googling I found this reference
    https://www.breezedryer.com/images/P...ist_Manual.pdf

At the bottom it lists the case bolts as part FD900738 but cannot find specifications.
    Looking at the other bolts listed the threads are all BSW.

My guess would be 5/16 X 1 inch BSW hex head, but this is only an educated guess.
    The green shed and other hardware stores usually have a selection of 5/16 UNC and UNF or could be swapped for 8mm. Plenty of selection of imperial and metric in other sizes as well.
    The hoist is remote from you but is the hoist remote from hardware stores ?

Apprentice (new member)

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have previously seen that document you included the reference for however, as you also noted, the case bolts (I think they might actually be listed as FD900770) are not described at all. Grrrr.

I was also thinking around 5/16 x 1 inch BSW, which would roughly equate to an 8mm x 20/30mm bolt. Although I am remote to the hoist, once I get to it, there is a Bunnings store only around 15mins away, so I could easily get some suitable bolts (probably get stainless steel ones, as they should be a lot more corrosion resistant). Also might look at replacing the other fasteners with suitable metric stainless steel ones, but will probably have to re-tap some of the parts if they are being refitted. As an aside, I have noted that replacement parts (eg wind brake and top cap assembly components) now appear to come with metric fasteners (makes sense, as metric would be the standard thread of choice nowadays, for new parts).

As for the email I sent to the OEM, I will post any useful information they come back with. Might come in handy for other folk as well.

Cheers

7K Club Member

Part 13 is listed as preassembled and as 5/16 x 3/4. Is that the one?

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Part 13 is listed as preassembled and as 5/16 x 3/4. Is that the one?
    That is the bolt to retain the cross at the top of the mast.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    That is the bolt to retain the cross at the top of the mast.
    Correct. The fasteners I am looking for the details of, are the ones holding the winder/gearcase halves together.

Cheers

Well it looks like there are newer models of the Hills Heritage hoists and the case is significantly different from the original 1960,s versions. The older version have bolts through flanges around the edge of the case, the more modern has the bolts more integrated into the body of the case.

Here is a post on the more modern version
    https://www.renovateforum.com/f85/hi...chanism-94478/
    Post 12 gets you some pictures of the parts including the bolts.
    You can see the case bolts are the same diameter as the handle screw but for this model probably in the order of 2-2.5 inches long.

Newer heritage hoists also use a plastic gear set and fasteners are metric.
    https://hillsparts.com.au/handle-ass...ines-fd900586/

So the answer really depends on what model Hills Heritage Hoist you have.

Apprentice (new member)

The hoist I have appears to be a bit of a mule (from my cursory investigations, it seems there are many 'mules' of this hoist out there). It has two wire stays (an inner and an outer) per arm, together with what seems to be an older style top cap assembly (there are no pole type supporting upper braces on my line - apart from the actual four arms that support the lines themselves). It also has an 8 bolt gear case, which I believe is the newer type. My issue is centred purely on the specifications/dimensions of the bolts holding the two gear casings together, and for which I cannot seem to find any specific documentation.
    This really seems to be a case of making simple stuff hard.