New post search changed

Default New post search changed

Hi,

Since yesterday when I hit New posts I only get total 7 hits, all other posting have disappeared has something changed ?

capture.jpg
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

7K Club Member

I suspect that you've recently hit Mark Forums Read.

I'm still getting full pages of New Posts I haven't read yet

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    I suspect that you've recently hit Mark Forums Read.

I'm still getting full pages of New Posts I haven't read yet

Checked that and it not been hit, if I hit it I get nothing show up.

Also the site is running like a pig again, can't be my side as all other sites are fine and my speed is as per normal.

capture.jpg

How do I "Un mark Forums Read" after hitting that button now I have zero posts show up ?

capture.jpg

7K Club Member

I use the old reno3 theme, but that shouldn't make a difference to how many new posts are displayed

7K Club Member

Hopefully New Posts is showing these updates

I don't think there's a Mark Unread (like in email etc)

What do you get when clicking "What's new?"
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

might be time to clear your cache and restart?
    (I always find that a pain because I lose some remembered things on other sites)

Quote Originally Posted by toooldforthis View Post
    might be time to clear your cache and restart?
    (I always find that a pain because I lose some remembered things on other sites)
    I don't imagine anything to do with cache, it's the same on phone or multiple PC'S

...your first post, looks normal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    I don't imagine anything to do with cache, it's the same on phone or multiple PC'S
    ok, fair nuff.

I have noticed any issues
    But then again hard to know if you are not seeing something that should be there but isn't.

Dunno what to tell you Metrix as it's working fine here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    ...your first post, looks normal to me.
    So I went to another PC 10 minutes ago in the house, RF was already opened in a tab in Opera and Chrome and was accessed no more than a week ago.
    Opened the browser and the below appeared which is what I normally see (this was the same for Opera and Chrome) see bottom of 2nd pic it shows 1 to 33 of 35

Then hit New Posts and get the final picture, so I cannot see any posts.
    The only way I can find a previous post is to start searching which is not going to happen as the search function on the site is hopeless.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Because I regularly view posts they seldom go stale ie recent posts remain visible to me but then they can disappear if for sometime left under
    "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts" .

Even a page refresh won't reveal the unread ones anymore so I page back and they reappear but that won't work if you have just logged in. My session is always open.

Yeh ok, so Ive tested with a few different browsers (EdgeV90, Chrome V73) and get the same result and you've triggered a memory on a long standing issue that I think is the same as to what your experiencing.

Expected behavior:

1. Looking at a few post, clicking on "New Posts", I'd expect to see the unread posts simply staying above the "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." line until I log out or come back after a specific time that's no doubt set by the website.
    2. When I do come back say in the following days, I'd expect to see the previous "unread" posts drop down below the "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." line and the new posts presented above the line.

Actual behavior:

1. Most times they will stay above the line but some disappear as I'm going back and fourth between the post and clicking on the "New Posts". So to mitigate this behavior, when I first view the "New Posts", and want to open one, I right click the post and select open in new tab. That way the new posts stay on the original tab and don't disappear until I close that tab.
    2. If I come back in the following days, the previously unread posts, I'd expect to see below the line but what I see is some do and some completely disappear...never to be seen again.

So what you r describing is what I've experienced for a long time...ie: I dont think its just change now. What I've not tested is if I delete all temp files (cookies) to see if it behaves differently.

So reading the help https://www.renovateforum.com/faq.ph...thread_display, "Viewing new posts or todays posts"
    appears to be setting controlled by the administrator that maybe they can look at....... specifically the settings around marking threads as read - see the last 2 sentences. Still doesnt explain why they disappear. As an example, coming back into this thread, I had to go to my activity stream to find it and a couple of threads I'd read this morning have also disappeared. This site behavior has been around for a long time....at least for me.

How can I see the latest posts?
    There are two ways to quickly view recently created or updated threads.
    If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.
    If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.
    The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.
    There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.

appears to be setting controlled by the administrator that maybe they can look at
    We would need an administrator! Then the administrator would need to be familiar with the system!

Yeh ok, so Ive tested with a few different browsers (EdgeV90, Chrome V73) and get the same result and you've triggered a memory on a long standing issue that I think is the same as to what your experiencing.

So what you r describing is what I've experienced for a long time...ie: I dont think its just change now. What I've not tested is if I delete all temp files (cookies) to see if it behaves differently.
    All I used to hit was New Posts, anything that had been updated by someone else appeared above the line, anything that hadn't been updated stayed below the line.
    Below the line there may have been 20 next pages of posts I could easily go between if I wanted to update a post without having to remember what the title was and try to find it via the search engine.

This is the way I have been checking for New Posts for years, as of a few days ago the behaviour has completely changed, now I can only see posts above the now imaginary line, and nothing below the line, as the line has disappeared.

I can then hit the 24 hours link, but still only see what's been updated in the last 24 hours, I cannot see anything older than 24 hours.

I suspect an administrator has been tinkering with something, or patched something not realising it has mucked something else up.
    I wouldn't bother clearing your cookies, as it's happened on 4 completely different machines here, multiple mobile devices, two tablets, via Chrome, Opera, Firefox and Edge

I would be good if an Administrator could look into this.

While they are there can they add some alternate colour schemes, such as dark themes.

This is quite a large customer based forum, it would be nice if we can choose from dark or light themes, and not be stuck with the fake wood and orange on white as it's difficult to read at times.

I have set Opera to Dark theme, but this forum website over rides that and persists with the white background.
    I know I can use Chromes force Dark theme function, but I use Opera Nowadays as Chrome just became to lethargic.

7K Club Member

I've only ever gotten that "Sorry..." message when I refresh the browser page on a New Posts search page. Happens after it's been left sitting for a while, like some token has expired

I suspect an administrator has been tinkering with something, or patched something not realising it has mucked something else up.

I would be good if an Administrator could look into this.

While they are there can they add some alternate colour schemes, such as dark themes.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    So Oneflare webmaster role no longer exists?

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    So Oneflare webmaster role no longer exists?

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Now, how long have you had this problem?!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot-2021-06-05-16-07-53-view-profile-zackary-renovate-forums.jpg  
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Is anyone else getting the same crappy issues???

I go into ANY category and either only see "sticky" or 2 posts. Where did the other posts go....even though on the home page it clearly says *,000's of posts/threads?
    Some admin been tinkering yet again?
    ...and no I've not changed any settings in my profile in months

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021-06-24_9-32-56.jpg  

Is anyone else getting the same crappy issues???

I go into ANY category and either only see "sticky" or 2 posts. Where did the other posts go....even though on the home page it clearly says *,000's of posts/threads?
    Some admin been tinkering yet again?
    ...and no I've not changed any settings in my profile in months

MMM May the force be with you