Hire the best Home Extension Experts

800mm Wheelchair Lift for Garage

Novice

Default 800mm Wheelchair Lift for Garage

Hi, i want to place a Thread for buying/building a 800mm high electric powered Wheelchair lift to replace a set of timber stairs that takes us from the back door in the garage down to our courtyard.

Where in this Forum should i post the new Thread.

Cheers.
    Last edited by phild01; 18th Dec 2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: moved from feedback

An uploaded pic of the area may help.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    An uploaded pic of the area may help.
    Hi, i only posted this thread just to ask which forum section i should post such a topic, as i am not quite ready to run it yet as i am gathering some info before i do, but i noticed that you moved the thread already, so i guess that i will roll it from here.

So, here is the location, our garage is located across the back courtyard from our unit, it has a small set of steps to the garage door, but i am now having problems with my ankles and knees, and those stairs can be painful for me to walk up and down, even tho it is only a height of 800mm.

We looked at building a ramp setup going across the garage wall towards the fence and return via a 1m x 1m landing heading down to the path where the downpipe is, which then has a path going to our back door, but by the time i build a platform outside the garage door, and another over near the fence, the 2 ramp sections will be too steep for disabled purposes such as wheelchair use, but it would be ok to use for a mobility scooter or for walking on, but even then some people still have difficulty walking up and down graded ramps, but i figure that if a lifting platform is not feasible then i will build the ramp as planned.

I thought of having a basic powered (battery or mains) platform sitting outside the door that would suit a wheelchair, the deck would be in the raised position by default, and anyone who wanted to go into the garage would drop the deck using a remote control, obviously the deck will have rails around it and be mounted to a frame fixed to the wall and existing concrete path.

I like the idea of something like this custom made lift, but in a smaller version to suit a lift of 800mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqbr3pRGeX8

Even something similar to these lifts might suffice, but with a modification made so that the required size deck can be attached to the forks, and have a hand held control module to operate it.

https://www.mhaproducts.com.au/elect...tform-stackers

These are just thoughts right now, but probably making something myself might be a more suitable option, as i have a mate who has a massive engineering workshop space at his home with all the fabrication gear needed to build one.

I had seen a battery operated lift that was capable of lifting 150kg but i can't find the link.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails courtyard-2-edit.jpg   courtyard-1.jpg  

A few thoughts.
    Any lifter should have soft start/finish to avoid stress on your knees.
    Something could be fabricobbled using the idea of scissor lifts (like a car jack) or like a elevator with four (or maybe two) posts suspending a platform.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    A few thoughts.
    Any lifter should have soft start/finish to avoid stress on your knees.
    Something could be fabricobbled using the idea of scissor lifts (like a car jack) or like a elevator with four (or maybe two) posts suspending a platform.
    I am looking thru youtube right now for some ideas, there are lots of guys making home made scissor lifts, most are manual, but could be motorized.

I forgot one very important thing

My garage only has a 10 amp power circuit, it has 3 flouro lights, a motorized roller door, a 160 litre fridge that runs all the time, and 2x 4 gang power points, plus i had to connect a new 25 litre mini boiler last year for the new laundry sink, and i recall my sparky brother telling me not to run anything else from that circuit, so i may be in trouble unless i can find a way to run it off battery.

I have no idea as to what size motor i would need to operate a lift capable of lifting at least 150kg in weight (to be safe)

Community Moderator

Have you though of using water?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Have you though of using water?
    Do you mean hydraulically ? or is there some other way that water can be used, i'm not up to speed with this sort of stuff sorry.

Thought of a motor cycle lift as a starting point ?
    https://www.edisons.com.au/t-rex-hyd...ack-hoist-bike

Yes its a foot operated hydraulic jack but could be replaced with air over hydraulic or some type of motorisation.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgyguy View Post
    Do you mean hydraulically ?
    Yes it was and may still is the way lifts are made for houses. Cheap and there are no cables involved. A bloke I worked with used to build these types of lifts just powered by domestic water pressure.

Whatever type of lift you use you have the be careful in designing the gates as you don't want the able bodied people to step into a 1 m drop.

Sounds like you are reasonably handy and could alter something to suit. I was thinking something like this might be a starting point: https://www.scissorlifttrolley.com.a...sor-lift-table. This model will lift about 1 metre so meets that metric as well as being able to lift 350 kg. I'm sure that there would be other brands and types around and there is likely to be second hand models around somewhere if time is on your side and it doesn't need to be put in place straight away.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesrule View Post
    Sounds like you are reasonably handy and could alter something to suit. I was thinking something like this might be a starting point: https://www.scissorlifttrolley.com.a...sor-lift-table. This model will lift about 1 metre so meets that metric as well as being able to lift 350 kg. I'm sure that there would be other brands and types around and there is likely to be second hand models around somewhere if time is on your side and it doesn't need to be put in place straight away.
    Thanks for that link, it was already one that i bookmarked for looking at later, as i got a few ideas from that for the lighter weight manual lifts that i may be able to add a motor to.

The lift that you showed is way too big for my purposes, and it is on wheels, i would only need a lift capable of no more than 150kg, be a lot lighter in weight, and i want the table top to be as close to the footpath when it is down to limit the steepness of the small ramp that i would have to make on the footpath to get onto and off the deck by someone in a chair or scooter.

Whatever i buy or build, it will just be a simple frame type base that can be bolted onto the existing concrete path and brick wall under the existing door.

Also, the lift will be used by anyone who goes to or from the garage, when not in use i need the lift to be in the fully up position so someone doesn't open the garage door and fall onto the lift below.

Also, it may require some kind of barrier to put across the doorway once someone is on the deck of the lift to go down, i would hate to see someone open the door and go to step on the deck of the lift and it is not there, maybe a striped hazard rope could be used by the person once they are on the lift ready to go down.

This might be ok in a much smaller version
    https://www.mhaproducts.com.au/high-...ic-lift-tables

This might be a possibility, if i could operate it with a motor of some kind, and remove the wheels to get the deck closer to the ground.
    https://www.mhaproducts.com.au/galvanised-scissor-lift-trolley

1K Club Member