Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Adjustable collar ties

Default Adjustable collar ties

My daughter's house as a problem with the walls spreading apart due to the weight of the solar hot water system on the roof.
    I have checked in the roof space and there are no collar ties in that section of the pitched roof.
    I don't think that this can be easily reversed, but what I am proposing to do is fit some steel adjustable collar ties and wind them up as tight as possible, and hopefully this would stop the problem from getting any worse. As there are no internal walls in this area to support the roof, my idea seems to be the only reasonable fix.
    My problem is that I have been unable to source these adjustable collar ties.
    Is anyone able to advise where they might be available in Perth.
    Thanks in advance
    Regards Bradford

Bradford...why not use some strapping steel (or cable) and some turnbuckles to make some up? I'm thinking something like 40x2 flat bolted across with a turnbuckle at one end. Wind it up incrementally and lock it off...
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

3K Club Member

I have done this before, here is what I did.

I used 50x8 flat plate to form a u section approx 400mm long with 15mm holes drilled 50 from the end and a 15mm hole in the u section to take the 15mm threaded rod.

After bolting the plates to the rafter as low as possible to the top plate with 15mm hitensile hex bolts and nuts, I used a comealong, chainblock type of lifter/puller to pull the rafters together as far as possible then bolted the

15mm threaded rod through both plates and tightened until firm, then I released the comealong.

I fitted these to 8 rafter which for memory were spaced at 900 centres and I also fitted timber packers under the threaded rods just in case someone decided to stand on them while in the ceiling space.

Please understand this was in the days pre red and green sheds, pre almost anything, when you had to make do with what you had, so was it over engineered, probably, who knows, but I do know very little ever failed due to

over engineering.

If you are not in a position to manufacture the brackets yourself, I am sure an engineering/steel fabrication shop would be able to.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input it gives me a couple of other ideas to think about.
    There is no doubt about it fresh minds look at things from a different angle and can come up with ideas
    I would have never thought of.
    Regards Bradford