Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Bracing for replaced bottom plate

Apprentice (new member)

Default Bracing for replaced bottom plate

Several bottom plates on the bottom floor of my 2 storey brick veneer home (22 years old) were damaged by termites. In order to repair this damage, I removed the bottom 200mm of gyprock along the walls to expose the bottom plates. The damaged bottom plate sections have successfully been replaced.

Unfortunately, this involved disconnecting the original bottom plate from the ply bracing orignally installed. My challenge now is to reconnect the original bracing ply to the new bottom plates to maintain the designed strength. But according to the standard procedure as per the AS standard, the nails are attached from the outside. The bracing ply is still connected to the studs and top plate, it just isn't connected along the bottom plate at the sections replaced.

I realise that in an ideal world, some external bricks would be removed to allow access to nail the bracing ply to the new bottom plate. Unfortunately this isn't practical.

Therefore, is there a way to attach the original bracing ply to the new bottom plate without removing external bricks or removing the entire sheet of gyprock?

can't you just angle a few screws through the bottom into the ply almost like a pocket hole?
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

7K Club Member

^ +1, and perhaps squeeze a good construction glue between the bottom plate and ply before the screws

Intrigued that the termites didn't also ruin the bottom of the studs or the ply bracing. Was the rot possibly due to something else eg moisture?

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I'll give that a go along with liquid nails (unless there is a better product on the market).

There was moisture in the laundry that originally attracted the termites (they were seen and treated). That was an internal wall so nails could be reapplied to the ply. Current repair is an external wall and bottom of the studs appear to be fine in this section so far.