Hire the best Home Extension Experts

building carport - finding tradesmen

Apprentice (new member)

Default building carport - finding tradesmen

Hi all,

I have had plans drawn and council approved for a large brick pier carport with myself as owner builder. I intend to do some of the carpentry myself.
    But I need some local help from tradies who can work to the plan and can read the engineer's plans. First step is foundations and piers.

Anyone out there who wants to be involved? Or can you recommend someone?

I'm in SE Melbourne.

Alan

Not sure about the foundations, but there is always bricklayers looking for work at the end of the trades section of the saturday Age. I would call them all, some might not want a small job but others would take it as a days work in between other bigger ones. also try the local rag for concretes and brickies. I would get as many trades as possible to quote the job then go with the one that seems right not necessarily the cheapest,

good luck and keep us all posted.

regards
    Last edited by PlasterPro; 9th May 2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo

I would get as many trades as possible to quote the job then go with the one that seems right not necessarily the cheapest,
    That's why I don't do small jobs. Do a days quoting work and $50 litres of petrol to get a one day job. Time waster 9000

Keep an eye for trades around your area on the job. Ask them if they'd be interested and show em the plans.
    https://www.instagram.com/perth_bricklayer_wa

Hi Alan

Sounds like you are owner contracting not owner building. It may be worth employing a builder to oversee the project. He will have links to tradies etc that you can use and that he recommends.

This leaves savings to be made with you doing as much work as possible (digging footings, carpentry, painting, roofing, brick cleaning etc) while having a pro organise the other stuff.

Just a thought.
    I just love sheepies!

Apprentice (new member)

Default owner contractor?

Hi Dazzler, good idea but ... where would I find a builder to oversee? If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

BTW, I originally contacted a few builders whom I saw in the neighbourhood doing similar jobs for a quote.

Lowest quote was $16000, highest was $42000, with a couple in between. So which do you choose on that range?

That was when I decided to try the owner-builder thing.

Lowest quote was $16000, highest was $42000, with a couple in between. So which do you choose on that range?
    You can have a scheduler or estimator do the quantity estimate for you.

Builders have an estimator do this any rate. I recommend this to anyone who is building a reasonable structure.

The estimate will tell you within 5-10% of what the job is going to cost. The break down will assist in your planning and financial's, just like a builder does.

Some estimators will even get you a cheaper price on materials if they can.

The biggest mistake owner builders make, is budget and planning, well, the severe lack of it.

Great recipe for bankruptcy and divorce.

Find a place that does owner builder courses.
    They're worth their weight in gold.
    You'll have much greater understanding of your responsibilities. Including timing and paperwork. Youll come away with a plan of attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan001 View Post
    Hi Dazzler, good idea but ... where would I find a builder to oversee? If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
    Hi ALan

Basically asking around is the only way. We paid a builder cash (I am sure he declared it) and he dropped in from time to time, we would sms him to say we were up to the next stage and he would drop in after work. A neat little earner for him and some advice for me. I think we paid him $65 each visit which was for less than 45 min or so.
    I just love sheepies!