Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Connecting studs to steel beams

Novice

Default Connecting studs to steel beams

Hi,

I'm removing one wall and sticking a big bifold door in another wall.

My engineer has spec'd a 180PFC bearing on triple 90x45 studs for the bifold door. And 75x75x4 SHS bearing on the triple 90x45 studs for the wall.

How do I connect the PFC and the SHS to the supporting studs? Some kind of straps over the top? Or should I have the steel fabricated with some connectors welded on?

I suppose you mean the PFC for the wall and the SHS for the door (?)
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I suppose you mean the PFC for the wall and the SHS for the door (?)
    Engineer doesn't seem like a lot of steel for the wall, does it. He offered a choice between a 250UB25.7, 250PFC or 75x75x4SHS for the wall.

Its the same problem for any of them, how to connect to the studs? Maybe with a strap like the Pryda SB103 over the top.

Golden Member

Fix a timber plate to the bottom of steel then nail studs to plate.

I am not sure, depends from the frame. The lintel is not alone up there, it is inside the frame. You have to keep it in placetop and bottom with whatever you can. Screws, nails, bolts. May be a picture of the frame where you need to fix it would help. A plate like Jim says seems reasonable. of course welding a bracket will make it even easier. paint the weld with cold galvo.
    As far as the choice of SHS 75x75x4 as a beam to replace a wall, I am at a loss for words. How long is the wall? one meter? That must be a typo.
    250 PFC is not the same as SHS 75x75x4 ... not even 175x75x4 . Anyway, better ask your engineer for clarification. I would also ask what type of anchorage he wants for the lintel and beam
    Seneca

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I am not sure, depends from the frame. The lintel is not alone up there, it is inside the frame. You have to keep it in placetop and bottom with whatever you can. Screws, nails, bolts. May be a picture of the frame where you need to fix it would help. A plate like Jim says seems reasonable. of course welding a bracket will make it even easier. paint the weld with cold galvo.
    As far as the choice of SHS 75x75x4 as a beam to replace a wall, I am at a loss for words. How long is the wall? one meter? That must be a typo.
    250 PFC is not the same as SHS 75x75x4 ... not even 175x75x4 . Anyway, better ask your engineer for clarification. I would also ask what type of anchorage he wants for the lintel and beam
    Marc we commonly use shs for lintels here as specified by the engineer( normally 90x90 though). As for fixing ,there are many methods that can be used with a bracket welded being the most common but sometimes there is no room for a bracket. A pic will definitely help , but your engineer probably should give you a detail on how it's to be fixed. Generally if it needs a steel lintel , we support it with steel posts.

Sure SHS 90x90x5 or 6 would make for a nice lintel for a window. i was surprised it said 75x75x4 for a wall. I wouldn't use that size for a window let alone a wall. I am sure it's a typo because of the alternative with 250 PFC.
    The flex for 75x75 ad just 3m is severe even with light load. It could be that it is not a load bearing wall so the square section is just for the ceiling?
    Seneca

Novice

I checked with the engineer. There was a typo -- he meant that the 'wall' beam was to be either 250UB or PFC, supported either by 3 of 90x45 or by the 75x75x4SHS.

This makes a bunch more sense. I'll support the 250UB with the SHS with welded connections and I'll have to pull the plaster off before deciding on the connections for the bifold door beam. The door isn't top hung, its only supporting the roof loads. Depends on what is the easiest way to support the rafters I suppose.