Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Council regulations?

Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Oct 2005

    Default Council regulations?

    We are wanting to put a carport up out the front of our house. Where do we go for what the council regs are? Eg how far from front boundry can the carport go etc.

    I, for the life of me, cannot find anyhting on Thuringowas website. Is there a book I can buy?


  2. #2
    Pretend my avatar moves! bitingmidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    "The Home of the Biting Midge" MountainCreek Qld



    Good luck with contacting anyone from Thuringowa as well! The building Surveyors don't answer calls, they just go through the switch and "get back to you!"

    Under the Building Code provisions, you can get a relaxation to build a carport against the front and side boundaries, UNLESS it's prohibited by a local by-law.

    It has to be a carport with no more than 25% (or thereabouts) of the sides enclosed. (you can't sneak back later and enclose it)

    Try phoning Council and asking to speak with a building surveyor. It may take a few calls, now that I think about it, they must have a local guy, go for him rather than head office... and it's a lot cheaper than forking out for a copy of the Building Code!

    All the best,


  3. #3
    A Member of the Holy Trinity silentC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003


    Our local council has a document titled Residential Development which I downloaded from their website. It covers all the requirements including minimum setbacks etc for each zoning. Maybe yours has a similar document?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

  4. #4
    Diamond Member Barry_White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Kentucky NSW near Tamworth, Australia


    Don't know about Queensland but this is the one for the NSW LEP's for all the Councils. http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/ma...inforce/NONE/0
    Regards Bazza

    Skype Username: bazzabushy

    "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."
    -Vernon Sanders Law

    The views expressed by the poster are general in nature and any advice should be taken in this vein. The poster accepts no responsibility if this advice is used. When undertaking any work personal professional advice should be sought from suitably qualified persons in the field of work being undertaken.

Similar Threads

  1. Council Approval???
    By damien in forum The Garden Shed
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 29th Jan 2008, 03:10 PM
  2. Council Permits
    By mick61 in forum Structural Renovation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 25th Sep 2007, 09:06 PM
  3. Deck regulations in S.E. Melbourne?
    By Waldo in forum Decking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th Jul 2007, 11:06 PM
  4. under-bath ventilation regulations????
    By adam01 in forum Bathrooms
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23rd Apr 2007, 08:56 PM
  5. Building Regulations
    By wombat47 in forum Structural Renovation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29th Jul 2005, 10:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts