Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Double carport and house fascia upgrade

Novice

Default Double carport and house fascia upgrade

I am currently looking at houses to purchase and many houses that interest me in Adelaide are built in 60's/70's and have a pretty boring and ugly frontage.
    They usually have a protruding lounge room on the left, entrace, and then another room, and then a single garage.
    Here is an example of the style I am talking about: 15 Pam Street, Netley, SA 5037 - House for Sale #110759663 - realestate.com.au

Often they have a large front yard, which generally is wasted space. The single garage leads to the back, where there is a double garage (which to me is a waste of valuable backyard space, and means you still have to shift cars around to get to the double shed.

My idea I have been floating is to add a double garage at the front of the property. Obviously council approval would be required, and there would need to be enough space for two cars on the driveway in front of the garage.
    I was thinking have a company build a fairly basic steel carport, with a timber double roller door on the front. I could then blueboard and render the sides. If doing this, I would probably also render the frontage of the house as well, so it all matches and would give it a more modern look.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this before, and if you have before or after photos?
    What kind of costs would I be looking at?
    Would it be a $50k job?

I would just like to know so that when looking at prospective houses I can factor that in to whether a particular house could be suitable.

Thanks!

Apprentice (new member)

Default How'd you get on???

Hey there,

I am also wondering about the same sort of thing in Perth.

Do you progress any further with this idea etc and come up with any prices??

Thanks,

Paul

No member

That's an exact replica of my mother-in-law's house I think they are weird with no lintels above the front windows, but they are solid as anything! Anyway, the double garage idea is done frequently here in Brisbane (houses are timber not double brick as that one is, but the concept is the same) these days as houses traditionally came with no garages or carports. The garage is usually built in line with the front fence and is double width and single length (or is sometimes, as you suggested, a built-in carport with open entry at the rear) and you can continue your driveway down the side. Cladding of the garage is either rendered blueboard with a rendered brick/blueboard fence, or in weatherboard with a picket fence.

Would you remove the existing single garage? It does not look attached to the house.

I wouldn't recommend setting a double garage back from the front fence in your situation- I think that would look really strange, plus you would still need driveway gates which defeats the purpose.

Have a think about it, and if you like I can suggest some addresses to you via PM to look at on Google Street View.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by amiaow View Post
    That's an exact replica of my mother-in-law's house I think they are weird with no lintels above the front windows, but they are solid as anything! Anyway, the double garage idea is done frequently here in Brisbane (houses are timber not double brick as that one is, but the concept is the same) these days as houses traditionally came with no garages or carports. The garage is usually built in line with the front fence and is double width and single length (or is sometimes, as you suggested, a built-in carport with open entry at the rear) and you can continue your driveway down the side. Cladding of the garage is either rendered blueboard with a rendered brick/blueboard fence, or in weatherboard with a picket fence.

Would you remove the existing single garage? It does not look attached to the house.

I wouldn't recommend setting a double garage back from the front fence in your situation- I think that would look really strange, plus you would still need driveway gates which defeats the purpose.

Have a think about it, and if you like I can suggest some addresses to you via PM to look at on Google Street View.
    Thanks for the info. The photo I posted was not the actual house, just something similar. When I first posted I didnt own the house, but I do now! So the attached photo below is the actual house.
    I would remove the existing roller door (this door is about 1.5* the normal size), but keep the existing carport there, and just add-on a double carport with double roller door in front of it, and rendered edges to match the existing house. Obviously it will take up some of the space in front of the front verandah (about 1 metre), but would no a nice little courtyard in between. I would probably keep the sides of the double carport semi-open, so that the front room gets a little more natural light.

If somebody could post some photos of houses with similar things done so I can get some ideas that would be great.
    I plan to paint the roof charcoal grey, and the front roller door would be a hardwood timber finish. I am a fan of using hardwood timbers, so examples that include hardwood would be perfect!

And amiaow, I have sent you a PM.

main.jpg

No member

PM'd you back with some addresses.

Bear in mind the amount of heat that your charcoal coloured roof is going to attract in summer- my parents have a black tiled roof in Adelaide and it's terrible, need constant air-con. One of the benefits of the double brick construction of the 60s places is that they tend to stay cooler, but I wouldn't be tempting fate!!