Hire the best Home Extension Experts

fibro garage conversion to granny flat on central coast

Default fibro garage conversion to granny flat on central coast

HI All,

Here I am in the first stages, I have a fibro garage on a slab, 6.1 x 3.5 I am going to extend at the front by 2.5 and at the back by 1.6.

Sewage access is right beside the garage, and the 1.6 extension which has no existing slab will house bathroom and kitchen plumbing.

Questions:
    -Slab or plumbing first? frame second?

-Does anyone know if your property has a rear laneway (no street name) can i build to my fence boundry?

- front extension has a slab on it, used to be a shed there, problem is its about 50 mm taller than garage slab - what are your thoughts on raising it and leveling it and having a step up? is there a way around it? I thought I could lift the entire floor with a frame so it matches, but my garage frame as is is 2.4 to what will be the ceiling, any lift in floor means I loose the required height.

Also on that the 2.5 next extension with the raised slab- will it be easy to raise the new frame/ceiling higher than existing garage frame so it can also be 2.4 height internal? or will this step up and ceiling different heights look dodgy?

Any helo, ideas and input would be excellent

cheers
    Juan

Any feedback would be greatfully accepted...

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Juan. Just gone through the process of plumbing/slab/frame. This is my suggestion:
    Slab first. Run your plumbing outside of the slab. Keep a diagram of plumbing for the future.
    In regards to the boundary building, just call your council. They should be able to answer over the phone. Or check their website.
    What are you using the front extension for? It's about 2.5m by say 4m wide? To keep the floor levels the same, consider a raked ceiling. That solves the issue about standard living area height. It also makes it look bigger.

Mate thanks for your feedback.

Im interested in your comments on "run your plumbing outside the slab"
    the shower waste must be under the slab, no?

Also re the front extension that will be a bedroom 2.5 deep x 3.20 ( i know just enough room for a double bed) but it wont be a wall this is going to be more of a studio than a one bedder. problem is the slab already exists and is around 100mm higher than the garage - which currently is 2.4 in height. I was going to do a standard flat ceiling but i like your idea on racking ceiling as the pitch is there. Only thing is as the bedrooom floor will be that 100mm heigher should the new extension/frame match the exsisting or also create it to be at a 2.4 height?
    Council says 2.4 min....

J

3K Club Member

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
    HI All,

Here I am in the first stages, I have a fibro garage on a slab, 6.1 x 3.5 I am going to extend at the front by 2.5 and at the back by 1.6.

Sewage access is right beside the garage, and the 1.6 extension which has no existing slab will house bathroom and kitchen plumbing.

Questions:
    -Slab or plumbing first? frame second?

The normal is to set out the plumbing including traps, then lay the slab. Also consider a depression in the bathroom slab for the shoer, this means you can install a walk in shower (no step), also cheaper to waterproof.

-Does anyone know if your property has a rear laneway (no street name) can i build to my fence boundry?

A call to your local council will sort this, it changes from area to area.

- front extension has a slab on it, used to be a shed there, problem is its about 50 mm taller than garage slab - what are your thoughts on raising it and leveling it and having a step up? is there a way around it? I thought I could lift the entire floor with a frame so it matches, but my garage frame as is is 2.4 to what will be the ceiling, any lift in floor means I loose the required height.

Have you looked at changing the roof truss from a triangle to an 'A' shape, leaving just 2 sides with a small roof angle?

Also on that the 2.5 next extension with the raised slab- will it be easy to raise the new frame/ceiling higher than existing garage frame so it can also be 2.4 height internal? or will this step up and ceiling different heights look dodgy?

No one will notice if you put in a dividing wall at this point.

Any helo, ideas and input would be excellent

cheers
    Juan
    Good luck Juan.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html