Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Floorplan change - old 3 bed, 1 bath, no laundry house

Default Floorplan change - old 3 bed, 1 bath, no laundry house

Hi all

My husband and I (early 30's, no kids but would like to have 2 in the next 5 years or so) are looking to renovate our double brick home, which currently has an enclosed old-style floor plan, tiny ancient kitchen and no internal laundry. Ideally, we'd like to open the space up, renovate the kitchen to be more open plan and have the kitchen opening out onto the backyard as an outdoor entertaining area.

We don't have any building/renovation experience and have tossed around the idea in the floor plan below as phase 1:

- knocking down the yellow highlighted walls (most likely load bearing, we're getting a structural engineer to confirm)
    - building a wall in the green highlighted area where the stove, oven, dishwasher etc will be relocated. The current kitchen sink area will be converted to glass doors that open out into the backyard
    - converting Bed 3 into an internal laundry

For phase 2, the room that's called "Family" is the only part of the house that's made out of fibro (asbestos yay!) and freezing in winter so we don't spend much time in there and don't want to keep it. Later on, we'd likely demolish the fibro walls of the "Family" room and use that area to extend into another 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. This will be probably 5 years or more away

Looking for feedback and ideas for other ways we may be able to get to where we want (I know knocking down load bearing walls will be likely very exxy). Thanks very much!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  

4K Club Member

I'm a bit weird but I like my laundry outside and separate.
    What I would do is encourage you to make room for a second toilet internally, ASAP, especially if your desired kids turn into teenage girls.
    Why not simply rehabilitate the existing family room by removing the asbestos and insulating well.
    I agree that the kitchen needs some work
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

I think your ideas are sound, have you considered playing with the new laundry space taking the toilet out of the bathroom, changing the laundry by adding a toilet between it and the bathroom. There may not be the space.

Getting rid of the dining room is good and there is the possibility of adding a Euro style laundry to the kitchen area although you may find that is a recipie for mess rather than clean functional living.

The family room being removed and adding bedrooms and another bathroom is a great idea.