Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Hanging Beam install on 100 year old place

Apprentice (new member)

Default Hanging Beam install on 100 year old place

Hi All.
    After not having much luck for a 1st fixer to come around to quote putting in a hanging beam in a 100 year old place, after a bit of research I think I’ll do it myself.
    Page 67 shows I would need approximate size
    Lvl15 200x42mm for ceiling width of 2.5m and span length approx 4m
    https://www.tilling.com.au/wp-conten...Guide-2019.pdf

Due to ceiling rose, I’d need to put two in either side of ceiling rose. Around the ceiling rose the joists are not running full length hence the reason to put two in.

My question if the above all sounds ok, the timber soldiers that are used to fix into place is this just standard framing pine or is it sections of the LVL cut into strips?
    I was planning
    On doing half herrings at 45 degrees and nail to the existing ceiling joists with my ryobi air nailer

Legally you cannot undertake this type of structural work unless you are licensed to do so.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    Legally you cannot undertake this type of structural work unless you are licensed to do so.
    Unless things have changed recently I believe the rules are open for work under $5000 in value if you contract the work & if it's on your own house the only limiting factor would be needing a DA & a owner builder permit, then there is no limit.
    inter

4K Club Member

With the current shortage of materials you may not be able to get the size of LVL you want in the length you want so look at the possibility of making up a plywood box beam too.
    If the timber is 100YO beware of splitting when using a nail gun, steel hangers and framing screws might be a safer and stronger option.
    Call it a repair to an existing structure and doesn't SA have different rules again??
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    In SA we are permitted to design and build our own houses, which does involve a fair bit of structural work, without the need for any licence. I have designed and self built two.
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by intertd6 View Post
    Unless things have changed recently I believe the rules are open for work under $5000 in value if you contract the work & if it's on your own house the only limiting factor would be needing a DA & a owner builder permit, then there is no limit.
    inter
    We don't have owner builder permits in SA. I have self built houses from scratch and know, or did know the requirements. I don't know what the legal requirements are for a structural repair. My guess is “like for like” repair is OK but a structural modification would need council approval. For a period of 7 years from the build any prospective buyers have to be informed that the house was owner built. I don't know if this requirement applies to structural repair or modifications undertaken by the owner.
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    .................. and doesn't SA have different rules again??
    Yes we do.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by UseByDate View Post
    We don't have owner builder permits in SA. I have self built houses from scratch and know, or did know the requirements. I don't know what the legal requirements are for a structural repair. My guess is “like for like” repair is OK but a structural modification would need council approval. For a period of 7 years from the build any prospective buyers have to be informed that the house was owner built. I don't know if this requirement applies to structural repair or modifications undertaken by the owner.
    I missed that the OP was in south Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    ................ and doesn't SA have different rules again??
    We are but simple folk here in SA and there is nothing we enjoy more, at the end of the day, after we have done whittling, drinking moonshine and duelling with our banjos than installing hanging beams just because we can.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by switched View Post
    My question if the above all sounds ok, the timber soldiers that are used to fix into place is this just standard framing pine or is it sections of the LVL cut into strips?
    I was planning
    On doing half herrings at 45 degrees and nail to the existing ceiling joists with my ryobi air nailer
    Can't comment on the HB size, but the connection can be made with pine (better than small pieces of LVL IMHO.

What are half herrings?

4K Club Member

Half herring I take to be a single diagonal brace. but steel pressings are far stronger and so cheap as to be almost meaningless in terms of cost the framing screws not so much.
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

7K Club Member

Yes, certainly there are steel options for all connections