Home Extension Ideas and Roof Extension Problems

Apprentice (new member)

Default Home Extension Ideas and Roof Extension Problems

Hi all,

Long time browser, first time poster. I have been getting lots of help and ideas for my previous woodwork and other renovation projects I took on over the last few years from all the comments and discussion posted in this forum, especially the comments from the forum champions.

Currently, I am facing the largest renovation project I ever planned (probably still a small project to many of you). I am thinking of doing a ground-level home extension, hopefully adding ~40 m2 floor area. The current house is three bed room brick veneer, built in late 1980s, approx 150 m2 for the living area, trussed roof and concrete tiles. I have talked to a few people who are more experienced in home extension projects, get some basic ideas, and quickly drew up the rough sketch of the couple of options I have in my head (pictures in the following link).

(google pic link removed)

The option 1: is doing a conventional home extension for filling in the inside of 'L' shape building footprint with a new roof and build a rumpus room (4m X 6m) and a bedroom (3m X 4m). For the additional roof, I am currently thinking a flat roof, but I don't know how hard (or awkward) it can be/look.

The option 2: is adding what they call a pavilion extension for a rumpus room (4m X 6m) and develop in front of the rumpus room as a courtyard, which is currently dull, boring concrete pads.

I quickly learned that nothing is easy or straightforward in home extension projects, and especially roof re-design can be the main issue in many projects and one of the biggest cost item. I also read quite a few forum discussion threads and articles on the web discussing the reasons to avoid box gutters or flat roof in this kind of home extension project, so became very unsure what to do. Also, for option 2, I have very little idea how such detached building extension will look/feel and also how the newly added room can be nicely linked to the existing building, the outdoor living area, which is currently decked over battens on the concrete and covered by a gable roof.

I would be grateful if you can share your thoughts and recommendation for these two options, any problem I might face and want to avoid, any tips, etc. Oh, as with many others, the budget is the main constraint, and I will have to delay the project to much later if it will cost me more than 150k. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by phild01; 1st Apr 2021 at 10:11 AM. Reason: pic link removed

Welcome, can you upload your pictures to the site, the resolution via the link is very poor.

From what I can see in the poor images I don’t believe there would be significant problem using a pitched roof on option 1 as it appears to just be extending the current shape.
    What would help is details of the existing construction, eg truss or stick built roof, and some pictures of the current structure looking at where you are looking at extending. If unsure of the roof construction get a few pictures from inside.

Both options are doable, the option below I have put rough rejigging of how the roofline would need to be re done to get the extension under the existing tiled roof, so you don't have to go for a metal roofed extension, there is a reasonable amount of work to the roofline to do this.

rf.jpg
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks so much for your reply, droog. Sorry about the issue with viewing the pictures. I was not familiar with how to upload the pictures on the forum posting, but I found the right button to click. Here are the picture. Hopefully, this one looks better. The roof structure is truss, hip and valley roof. picture1.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks METRIX! It looks great and I can picture in my mind that the extended area will look really well blended. You reckon the building cost will be much much higher if I go with the hip and valley roof design like yours compared to a flat roof? I just have no idea how much cost can take if I have to re-do the roof truss structure for 30-40% roof area like your drawing. One more question, is it not too difficult to find the concrete roof tiles that match with the shape and size of the existing tiles?

Quote Originally Posted by AmatuerBuilderJ View Post
    Thanks METRIX! It looks great and I can picture in my mind that the extended area will look really well blended. You reckon the building cost will be much much higher if I go with the hip and valley roof design like yours compared to a flat roof? I just have no idea how much cost can take if I have to re-do the roof truss structure for 30-40% roof area like your drawing. One more question, is it not too difficult to find the concrete roof tiles that match with the shape and size of the existing tiles?
    Cost of rejiggling the existing roof will definitely be a higher than going for a flat roof extension, IMO it will be worth it as the roofline will then look all original.

If it's a truss design currently, because you ae keeping the new addition within the existing roof line, you should be able to re-use the existing trusses as you are essentially picking up and "moving" the existing roof over the dining / living and relocating it over the new rumpus.

This would involve installing some new full width trusses over the existing living area to match the ones that are already there.

Even though it sounds easy, there is a fair amount of work to do it, cost wise you might find it's not too bad because you can re-use what's there.
    Yes you can usually find the right tiles, sometimes you can't find the right colour as they don't make it, so you install a different colour, then have the roof sprayed to look like new.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks again, METRIX. After your reply, I talked to a builder and asked for their quotes for both scenarios, (1) flat roof and (2) hip and valley roof. They call 20k more for the second option. As you said, it is not too too bad, but I am inclined to going with the flat roof because I decided to add a small toilet in the extended area, which adds exactly 20k. My budget is pretty much hard capped, so I have to play only within that inflexible budget space. I will try to update you and others as the project progresses. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by AmatuerBuilderJ View Post
    Thanks again, METRIX. After your reply, I talked to a builder and asked for their quotes for both scenarios, (1) flat roof and (2) hip and valley roof. They call 20k more for the second option. As you said, it is not too too bad, but I am inclined to going with the flat roof because I decided to add a small toilet in the extended area, which adds exactly 20k. My budget is pretty much hard capped, so I have to play only within that inflexible budget space. I will try to update you and others as the project progresses. Thanks again.
    Did you get quotes from a number of sources ?, that figure seams pretty high but am not familiar with building costs in your area.