Hire the best Home Extension Experts

How to fix to this wall

Default How to fix to this wall

Just got this garage constructed, steel framing with Colorbond cladding. I want to fix some things to hang bikes on the wall for storage. Obviously I can't fix to the back of the cladding. It looks like I could fasten a sheet of plywood to the bracing using Tek screws, and then put my hanging hardware on that. Thoughts?

pxl_20221113_053414109.jpg
    Owen in Melbourne

4K Club Member

No need for ply, pick some hooks and screw them to the top purlin with self drilling hex head teks

https://www.bunnings.com.au/products...s/garage-hooks

I don't just want to hang bikes - also tools, garden stuff, etc. So a bigger flat surface seems necessary.
    Owen in Melbourne

Make sure the ply is resting on the ground so the concrete is taking the weight.

Then screw it to the purlins

Then screw all manner of attachments.

I'd personally look at bunnings (or other) cheap film faced ply, at least you dont have to finish it.
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

Golden Member

In the past, Ive used both ply (12, 15 or 17mm) and yellow tongue flooring fixed vertically.

In both cases, I've made some 5 to 10mm packers out of flat gal bar to keep the bottom off the floor so it doesn't absorb moisture if i hose out the floor.

Out of the 2 options, my preference has been the yellow tongue flooring, works a treat.

Fix it directly to the purlins (top, middle and bottom). If using Yellow tongue, then 3 screws in each row or 4 screws if using ply as its wider. Predrill the holes and use metal piercing tapered head screw to sit flat against the top of the board.

Done the same fixing bikes, garden tool board - rakes, shovels, brooms, ads, axe, crow bar, a row of 70mm conduit x 100mm lengths to pop in trigger nozzles, hand spades, pruning shears) and using French cleats, hung several tool boards out of 15mm ply over time with more planned to hang the power tools for easy access.