Hire the best Home Extension Experts

How to support one end of a Hanging Beam?

Apprentice (new member)

Default How to support one end of a Hanging Beam?

Hi Guys,

Have been studying everyone's internal wall projects to understand roof and ceiling structures and it's amazing to see what youse are getting upto My house is a timber framed with external cladding job with 55 years life experience.

My own project is to change a built-in combustable heater, which is encased by a section of plastered wall in the centre of the house in the lounge room, into an exposed heater, because all the heat is trapped inside the walls and escapes out the internal flue into the roof. Also I have noticed the wall behind the heater heats up and is almost too hot to touch so something has to be done.

The Hanging Beam issue has cropped up because the wall which encloses the heater is supporting the inside end of the centre hanging beam. I can see this was done because the heater's flue blocks the passage of the beam to the internal wall behind it. The lounge room is 8x4m, there are three hanging beams running across the width of the lounge room from the front external wall to the internal wall adjoining the kitchen/dining room. The ceiling joists are running along the length of the lounge and the last joist runs along the internal wall and rests on the heater enclosure as well, but are connected to the other h/beams just back from the heater. The hanging beams appear free of any other loads.

The beams are 200mm x 35mmx 4800mm attached to the joists by wooden pegs. Can I run two extra h/beams on either side of the central beam over the joist ends to the internal wall and then run a counter beam over all three h/beams to support the original central beam.

A) will that arrangement support the centre beam, ceiling provide bracing etc?
    B) what material would best to use?
    C) anything I've missed?
    D) seal it all up install aircon and forget it!

cheers!
    photo attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1540.jpeg  

4K Club Member

First check to see if that particular heater has any safety issues! i:e; What make/model and DoM is it??
    Looking at the flue and the clearances I would guess it is a gas fired model and some of the older units do and did have safety issues.
    If it is an older model then simply replacing it with a newer high efficiency unit may be the cheapest solution.

Sorry BM, I'm still not clear on the problem. Has someone cut/shortened the hanging beam to allow for the flue ? Is the fireplace moving or staying where it is and just the wall around it going ? Hanging beams dont need to be at right angles to the ceiling joists, so you may be able to pick up another wall by running a new beam on a angle ?

Apprentice (new member)

yeah rintail, the wall around the heater is going and the hanging beam was cut to fit the flue and resting(blocked) on it.

Thanks for the angled beam suggestion, what strength and type of beam would you suggest?

Moondog, it's an old Kent wood combustion, at the time it looked the cheapest option to buy a second hand version of what I have and rip out the wall so the heat can fill the room instantly. I've just hit this snag with the beam and joists )

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Have a look at this thread, http://www.renovateforum.com/f76/rem...options-91929/ to the best of my knowledge it hasn't fallen down!
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    Have a look at this thread, http://www.renovateforum.com/f76/rem...options-91929/ to the best of my knowledge it hasn't fallen down!
    Hmm. I must post the last few pictures for that thread. I haven't posted the photos of the hanging backets fitted yet. I do remember that the batteries in the camera went falt towards the end of a long day and I wasn't too keen on yet another climb out-and-in of the ceiling to take another photo.

And, yep, it is still standing.
    There is no middle ground between facts and fallacies - argumentum ad temperantiam

Depends on the span, ceiling materials and wall layout. Can you just run a new beam full span like the others but to one side of the flue ? Is that another hanging beam in the photo at the rear ( down low). With a span of 4800 and 13 mm gyprock ceilings, the Hyne program says 240 x 45 KD F 27, 300 x 45 LVL or 2/240x35 MGP 12 and about 10 other options