Long span beam in workshop

Apprentice (new member)

Default Long span beam in workshop

Hi there

I'm planning on creating some storage in my garage/workshop. Essentially what i want is to run a beam between two walls in what is basically a shallow alcove (900mm deep), to support a a storage space. The space will be supported on 3 sides. However the unsupported side will span 4.7m. I've attached a sketchup model to illustrate what i need. In the image the proposed beam would run from point A to point B. I'm hoping to get some feedback on the best way to approach this, considering the following:

• The area will be used for holding storage tubs, paint cans, and various other junk that i want out of the way. At a wild guess it will probably need to support about 60kg per meter, but id rather be conservative.
    • I really don't want any post type support in the middle of the span. As you can see this will disrupt the work area underneath.
    • Either end of the beam will likely sit within the stud walls, on top of support studs.
    • The three supporting walls will have some kind of permanent ledger strip attached into the studs, for the platform to sit on.
    • The ceiling above is an open truss structure so using vertical connections from the beam to the truss structure is possible. My only worry with this is increasing the load on the trusses which support a 6x7m corrugated roof.
    • Material of the beam or structure does not matter (e.g steel or wood doesn't matter)
    • I'd like the depth of the beam to be as small as possible. For example, I want to avoid having to use something like 240mm timber if possible.

I've thought about simple structural pine, but worried too much about flex in the middle and reliance on the connection to the trusses. Also thought about creating my own i-beam using 2x4's and ply/osb but thought the beam would end up too deep. Not sure about using a steel beam as i don't have much experience to get a feel for what type or dimensions would be required.

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated. Its possible that i'm over thinking it...

Cheers

beam-pic.jpg

so are you just building a deep shelf above the work bench?

i think you're probably overthinking a bit. if you where going to have a people up there dancing i'd be looking at span tables etc.

i would have just thrown some 90 x 45 structural or LVL up there and put a piece connecting to the truss in the middle to stop the sagging.
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

Apprentice (new member)

Hey mate - so what did you end up doing?
    I am in the same process, but wasn't sure about sizes suggested either.

LVL 170x35 or 170x45 according to load.
    If you are going to store multiple engine blocks and gold bars, go 200x45
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

4K Club Member

A couple of large shelf brackets would also help. I assume that there is a wall or something to screw or bolt such angle brackets to.
    I used a couple of these on my big shelf; 600 * 3600, on a longer shelf of 4700mm I might double that

https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-...acket_p3970220
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Apprentice (new member)

Maybe a dumb question, but are there span tables or weight tables for these sorts of storage questions?
    Or any kinda rules of thumb?

4K Club Member

I just approximated from allowable flooring loads but the OP's 60kg per square meter sounded reasonable to me [ I assume it was 60kg m<2] 4.7 *0.6 =165kg but even if it was 300kg I'd not be too worried.
    Evenly distributed naturally, if I had a heavy load I'd try and centre it on a brace point like the bracket I suggested
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.