Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Need advice on an attic conversion in Perth

Apprentice (new member)

Smile Need advice on an attic conversion in Perth

Hi I'm a an Irish chippy in Perth and ive
    been asked to convert an attic... what are the steps involved ? I know I'll have to get someone in to have a look what is possible but is it an architect or structural engineer that I need?or both ? And what do they cost ? The clients wants me to get designs and prices and is eager to carry out the work immediately .im a good chippy and I know what I would do in the attic but I'm not sure of standards or practice . Is there any one that can help ? Flood me with info links, advice, recommend people if you know anyone here in Perth luv this site it has helped me so much in the past hit me back people

What is it being converted to, bedroom?

If the attic conversion is going to be classified as a habitable room then you need to comply with all the relevant parts of the BCA and get appropriate council approval. This means you need a window for ventilation (eg velux) and also the ceiling heights must comply as outlined in section 3.8.2 which says:

Ceiling heights.

in an attic a height of not less than 2.2 m for at least two-thirds of the floor area of the room or space;
    Otherwise you are just building an expensive storage area ;-)

As a first step before you engage an engineer or architect I would do some rough sketches and calcs to see if the roofspace can meet the ceiling height requirements. Once you start adding in all the components you start to lose head height quickly.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by paddyjoy View Post
    What is it being converted to, bedroom?

If the attic conversion is going to be classified as a habitable room then you need to comply with all the relevant parts of the BCA and get appropriate council approval. This means you need a window for ventilation (eg velux) and also the ceiling heights must comply as outlined in section 3.8.2 which says:

Otherwise you are just building an expensive storage area ;-)

As a first step before you engage an engineer or architect I would do some rough sketches and calcs to see if the roofspace can meet the ceiling height requirements. Once you start adding in all the components you start to lose head height quickly.
    yeah but can i say its not for habital use even tho there will be two bedrooms? to avoid building regs and planning?

Default Re: Need advice on an attic conversion in Perth

Possibly but probably not a good idea. The rooms could never be classified as bedrooms, they would always be storage or utility rooms. You would also need to put some form of windows in the rooms for ventilation, this usually requires council approval so you would be doing this part illegally.

You should have a chat to the local council and see what's involved, most likely it could be done under complying development which is a much simpler process than getting a full development application.

3K Club Member

Just on that 2/3 of room must be ceiling height of 2.2m or more. If I was to wall off some of the area to reduce the low heights at the sides would that mean I can calculate the area from where the walls start. I imagine so but just checking to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    Just on that 2/3 of room must be ceiling height of 2.2m or more. If I was to wall off some of the area to reduce the low heights at the sides would that mean I can calculate the area from where the walls start. I imagine so but just checking to be sure.
    Yes you could add in some recessed shelving or similar in that area. One thing to remember is that anything that is below 1.5m is excluded from the calculation so that helps a bit.

With my build the council passed the DA but then when I applied for a construction certificate they made me do a detailed drawing showing that I complied.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by paddyjoy View Post
    Yes you could add in some recessed shelving or similar in that area. One thing to remember is that anything that is below 1.5m is excluded from the calculation so that helps a bit.

With my build the council passed the DA but then when I applied for a construction certificate they made me do a detailed drawing showing that I complied.
    OK, that seems good for my future situation. Thanks for that.