Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Negotiating with builders for extensions

Apprentice (new member)

Smile Negotiating with builders for extensions

Hi.
    We are looking to do some extensions on our single story 1970's home in Perth in the 100-150K range. We are looking to build a new bedroom with ensuit (approx 5x5m); renovate the extisting bathroom; possibly pull down a wall in the lounge (depends on final costs). We are in discussions with a builder about the design. We have canvassed a few builders now, and this lot seem pretty attentive and reasonable so far. However, hubby and I are struggling with the concept that $180K gets you a 4 x 2 new house (albeit pretty basic) and if we get all our work done it could be that much plus some. We are willing to do work ourselves, but are limited in time and expertise. So we would like some tips on how we can get the most out of our builder, what things make a difference to their costs, where can we negotiate, what should we look out for? Big questions I know - all advice appreciated

G'day mate. Basically, renno's cost nearly 2 x the cost of building new. Adding to a existing house takes a lot of time and effort to "make good". The only thing I can suggest is to make everything standard sizes and keep your fitting and fixtures down to sensible choices. You could do a bit of labouring but it wont make much difference at the end of the day. Painting it yourself will save you a fair bit though.

I reckon he big saving to be made in DIY is to manage the project yourself. Get a semi-deent understnding of what teh requirements are - Discuss what you want the builder to do and what you are happy to do yourself. - Can you organise your own trades? etc.

Can you organise the slab pour? electrical? demolition, clean up?

I found a builder that was so busy he was keen for me to do as much as i wanted and just call him for the speciality bits. - It makes sense to me in hindsight (as i assume he has better things to do than push wheelbarrows of bricks to the skip bin, and wheelbarrows of concrete down my back yard.)

He was quite happy with me doing teh brain dead work. - he even gave me guidance on what he wanted me to do and to call him once i had done something. - we had an understanding that he would then move onto the next section as and when available.

Renovate of detonate is a big question....if budget allows knock down and start again.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks guys. We have gone through the knock down/renovate option and renovating is still way cheaper, and easier given we have small children. Renting in Perth is not easy or cheap these days. We met the builder last night and he is about to go off and start with costings, he has agreed to come back to us with suggestions on where to save money and I suspect much of it will relate to fixings - he seems to be working off high end, custom made stuff rather than the more stock standard, pre-made stuff. I assume stuff from tradelink or bathroom stores is still pretty good (vanities, basins and taps). I think I will also see how much we would save if I managed the fit outs of the bathrooms (ie, I buy all the gear and arrange for plumbers and tilers that we have used before) but I am really not sure if that will make much difference in the end. Will have a better idea in a few weeks I guess. Shall keep my fingers crossed.