Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Rotating a room 90 degrees?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Rotating a room 90 degrees?

Hello All. I've been reading on the site for a while now and I'm pretty sure the responses to this aren't going to be what I want to hear at all.

My house is a project home slapped on a long narrow block on which it just fits. I am the second owner as of about 5 years ago. As it stands, there is no vehicle access to my back yard because the family room at the back (top right of my picture) is only 1200mm from the boundary. The room at the bottom is a garage which has rear vehcile access. So I can drive though my garage into my patio, but not into my yard

Both these rooms are built onto the side of the trusses you would have there anyway if the rooms didn't exist (rectangle shape indicated with dotted lines). What I am contemplating is using as much of the existing room as possible (windows, trusses & support beams basically) and having it rotated out into the back yard as shown in red, allowing vehicle access to the back yard (and future shed). As you can see, the new room would be built across the corner of the underlying framework, as opposed to off one side of the corner. And would require extensions to the slab.

My question to the experts/experienced here is what sort of ballpark figure am I looking at to have this done? It's a brick veneer & tile home. I figure if it could be done for under 30k I'm not spending much more than it would cost to move anyway, but I'm probably way off?

back-room.jpg

i'm not exactly clear on what you are saying here... are you trying to knock some of your existing down, then rebuild out the back?

Apprentice (new member)

Yes, the new part would be in red in the picture - facing up (into the yard). It currently faces right (into the fence).

Does that make sense or should I try to explain myself better? Maybe a better diagram.... ?

maybe a better diagram... from what i can see though, you'll have to take into account demolition costs, new footings for patch up brickwork, infill for frame, then new build costs... ie plaster, brickwork, frame, footing. assuming no complications, i'd reckon around $15k per square should get you over the line. keep in mind it's a little hard to tell from a rough plan. your best bet would be to get a builder around to give you an obligation free quote. that way, he'll know what he's looking at! hope this helps!

Old Chippy 6K

All is possible with sufficient money . . . little would be reusable, you really are talking a standard renovation involving a demolition and build. Beam(s) to hold up the trusses and my guess is, and v.rough at that, you'll see little change from $50K. Needs plans and approvals of course and there's a few thousand before you start.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Photographs of the existing conditions would also help us help you.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks folks I'll get onto some pictures and a better diagram/info soon...

Apprentice (new member)

Does this help?

I took a screenshot from google and filled in the existing roofline (middle) and a crappy idea of the desired roofline (right)...

house-changes.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

And some pictures....

I only had a little bit of light left, but hopefully this shows what I want to do. I will get a builder around when I can, but that wont be for a while.

img_0839.jpg

img_0834.jpg

img_0843.jpg

3K Club Member

I'm no roofer but that seems like a slightly complicated roof considering not achieving more space, just moving space about. I'm just wondering if there's more value in a different design that will either save you money or give you more room for the same cost. Tell me I don't know what I'm talking about...you'd be right. Others will know if I'm silly or not.... Just had to comment, in case it was of some use to mention it. I'll go now.

Apprentice (new member)

Haha I appreciate ALL replies

I think it's hard to do too much with because of the strip of the room which falls under the main rectangular shape of the house. The only other alternative I can think of is to still shave the \__/ part of the room off, but build back into the existing patio (instead of out into the back yard). This would be easier in terms of roof design, but it would be hard to come up with a design which didn't feel 'modified'. It would also create a problem with the patio roof - it would have to be moved to the back of the house. This would be OK (put a door at the back of the room to the patio), but because you can't get a crane in there (crane = free for me) it would have to be dissmantled and reassembled.

7K Club Member

Unless you can a lot of it yourself the $30K - $50K estimates are probably a good indication. It's an expensive driveway if you don't get some other benefit, I reckon. e.g. you could create more space by squaring up the room rather than the large bay effect. Also you have a big back yard (many would be jealous), so it might be possible to get a little more bang for buck while all the disruption is going on.

Apprentice (new member)

I have it in my head that if it's 30k I'll do it, but not 50k (or perhaps 'not yet' if its 50k). The justification to myself is that it would cost me 30k to move anyway (in commission/stamp duty alone) and I expect (if I could find) what I want would likely be 50k more expensive than my sale price.

For everyone's interest - I don't just want to be able to drive into the back yard for the sake of it - I want to build a shed (7x9 plus lean-to) and have somewhere to store big stuff (trailers/boat type thing). The lack of yard access was one of the first things I noticed when initially inspecting the property to purchase, but we decided it was a non-issue due to the fact we were getting a newer house for not much more money than everything else available in our price range at the time. Five years on we're ready to improve on what we have (be it renovating/landscaping or moving), but the wife wants to stay put.

Bloss - I missed your comment previously, but have read it now - thank you.

Edit: oh and also for everyone's interest - we didn't choose the external colour! It seems people either love it or hate it. Lucky it was almost dark for the pictures

here's a practical suggestion from left field:
    do a deal with a neighbour either side or behind you for access via a gate opening onto THEIR property so you can get your boat/car/whatever out of your back yard.

even if you have to come to a financial arrangement to make that possible, it will still be well under $30K.

Apprentice (new member)

That has been suggested many times before, but while practical it's not a realistic option. One side doesn't have access, the other side only has access through their garage and I don't know the people behind me. I wouldn't be comfortable driving through a neighbours garage or past their house to get to mine.

The other thing which hasn't been mentioned, is that I think it detracts from the house and it's value that there is such a great yard, but it's inaccessible. I think around here adding a shed and access would probably add 30k to the property value anyway. Maybe that is naivety in the finest form

Apprentice (new member)

Sometimes you have to weigh up why you are doing it, and also length of time you will benefit from the changes. We have spent a (small) fortune on making changes to our home, to suit us ,not to necessarily add value to the property (though that is a consideration if only planning on staying for a short period of time). But, we are planning on staying for a very long time. If you plan on staying for a while, and it ends up costing you more than you originally intended, then you will find that over time the extra cost starts to become not necessarily irrelevant but not as big a deal.
    Our home is in a great cul-de-sac, close to schools, shops, the train line and my work.

Just my thoughts and I know goes against rules of renovation to always make changes that add value but I reckon in 30 years time it won't matter and I will have had my house as I want it.

Liz .