Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Short span lintel under house

Default Short span lintel under house

I'm planning to install ducted heating and will be running two large ducts down a passage way under the house. With the current clearance once installed the ducts will block future access into the passage which is the only way to get under the house. I would like to install a lintel and remove some of the sandstone and brick to give more room like below. Lintel in red, area in green to be removed.

The wall is single brick, can I cut out half of the mortar on one side and then hammer in a steel angle?

Any advice?

passage.jpg

On the other side of the passage it looks like they have used a piece of floor board, ha

passage_2.jpg

7K Club Member

The lack of responses might be suggesting "get an engineer" I think.

Default Re: Short span lintel under house

I think we all need a little more info, is it split level? Is there a wall above? What size are your bearers and joists,? is it a tiled or metal roof? Also any structural work under a house must be carried out by a licenced person, I have a unlimited domestic builders licence where unlimited means do all but electrical, plumbing major demolition and basically any structural work under a house. Too many unqualified people have died trying this.

Quote Originally Posted by BalliangBuilder View Post
    Also any structural work under a house must be carried out by a licenced person, I have a unlimited domestic builders licence where unlimited means do all but electrical, plumbing major demolition and basically any structural work under a house. Too many unqualified people have died trying this.
    Thanks point taken, as an owner builder I assume I can legally undertake structural work on my own home, even if I am unqualified?

Quote Originally Posted by BalliangBuilder View Post
    I think we all need a little more info, is it split level? Is there a wall above? What size are your bearers and joists,? is it a tiled or metal roof?
    Yes there is a wall with a bricked in doorway directly above. Tiled roof with roof loads on this wall.

Looking at the span tables I can use 100 x 75 x 8mm angle in this situation to span up to 900mm but I will check this with my engineer before proceeding of course.

I was planning to use a prop and strongboy to support the brickwork, rake out the mortar to a depth of 75mm and then insert the angle. I will also need to take a brick out of the perpendicular wall to make sure the angle can rest in that wall.

I also discovered that the opening is to narrow to fit the heating unit through so I will need to make it a bit wider also

Default Short span lintel under house

As an OB you can do what you want, risk is with you, but on your D/A it will specify what inspections etc you need to adhere to and any other requirements. In my case the council stipulated any steel work had to be certified by an engineer, even though I didn't have any, check you D/A for such "general clauses"

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    cheers Look out if I have a tape measure in my hand.....I'm upto something

Default Re: Short span lintel under house

This is true and also where the building industry is very wrong, as an owner builder you can do this, also walk over your roof without a harness or safety rails, lay your leads on the ground, no need to identity possible dangers on the work site, scaffold "what is this?" It's very wrong and needs to be rectified! It still troubles me to try to understand how a construction workers life is more important then your own???.

4K Club Member

Under house excavations & owner builders are not a good mix, I was building 7 terraces on blues pt rd nth sydney, talking to one of the neighbours at the back when I was excavating the under ground car parking which was 4m deep & went to the boundaries on all sides, he asked if I knew what I was doing, because he had had a bad experience with the southern neighbour. He then showed me through the back gate to his yard & pointed to the side of his Victorian 3 storey terrace, midway up the wall was half an painted ornate internal archway poking out from the party wall, this neighbour had been excavating under his house making room for a garage, the terrace gave a couple of groans a creaks & collapsed in a pile just after they had run out from inside. Luckily it didn't pull down the adjoining terraces in the row. Be careful. Most of those old places have lime mortar that is just about powder & sand now.
    regards inter