Hire the best Home Extension Experts

Suitable arrangement with acrow props?

Golden Member

Default Suitable arrangement with acrow props?

The fun of finding the surprises of dodgyness from the previous owner and his Ďimprovementsí continues!

Stripping a wall of plasterboard the other day I found the following abomination of modifications!

image003.jpg

Theyíd gone and put a bigger window (1.9m) in when they renoíd about 20 years ago. Too much dodgyness to mention; missing studs, extra members added not actually doing anything, but the best is the cantilevered lintel. Iím guessing when they put in the longer window they removed the jack studs and just left the original lintel hanging by the lintel studsÖ So most of the load is now going through the window frame. Brilliant.

Anyway, now have to rebuild the wall. Calculated lintel size (150x75 / 190x35 Ėwill use a 190x42 LVL15 as its laying around), etc, etc.

Now, onto my question. Iíve only used acrow props in the typical needle setup when supporting a wall plate (see pic) because thatís the way I was taught. But Iíd prefer to avoid punching a couple of holes through the outside cladding unless I have to. There is an alternative I see, but not sure I am comfortable with it so thought I would ask if itís a common method of prop use before I start punching holes.

img_9401-788357.jpg

To allow the lintel to be inserted, the prop column member axis needs to be offset from the wall plate otherwise the column will foul the space. An option would be to use a single prop (in 2 or 3 locations) with the prop column member axis offset from the wall. The wall plate would bear directly against the prop top sole plate.

In this scenario the wall plate load wont be inline with the prop column axis and hence will introduce a buckling load. The loads wont be huge and Iíd secure the top and bottom sole plates with suitable anchors.

Is this a common method of support setup or not? I wonít use until Iím satisfied it is.

cheers.

think I follow all that

how about using the props to support the rafters, protecting the ceiling/eaves with sole plates. Not sure what your eaves look like? clad?
    anyway, one prop on each rafter, say 300mm inside the wall, check where yr bearers are, and/or use sole boards to span floor joists.

Golden Member

Cheers for that. Access to the rafters is not a problem (unclad eaves). Might use a combination so that the one(s) proping the top wall plate is not taking all the load.

My mate who is a builder will be back from overseas this week, so I'll have a chat to him as well about it.

Nice lintel!
    Inclined props are not a good idea. It will introduce horizontal loads which are a recipe for something to go wrong.
    If you prop the eaves side of the rafters you'll need to prop the ceiling joists internally.
    I'd be going for needles to support the top plate.

I had some walls like that.

I got around the acrow prop problem by installing the new lintel over the existing one after I'd put the new stud work in. Then removed the window and old lintel. Too easy. And the house is still standing. Of course if you don't need the window higher then it might be an issue but it's not that big a deal to have a high lintel...at least I don't think it is!
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Could you use some strong boy props?

Golden Member

Got the job done the other week and have been meaning to post a follow up but its been pretty frantic lately. Many thanks for all the advice guys, it was much appreciated. The propping issue was a bit of a non event in the end. The acrow props were able to be positioned in such a way that the loading was fine. The strong boy prop extensions would have been perfect otherwise.

Anyway, Iíve attached a photo of the finished job.

img_6816.jpg

nice job.
    have Xmas off.

Nice job.