Hire the best Home Extension Experts

termite treatments and toxicity

Apprentice (new member)

Default termite treatments and toxicity

They have almost completely eaten the 12 year old pine interior framing. All is now ripped out and gone. Pest guy recommends using a roll of HOme Guard moisture barrier between the slab and new timber. BUt now which treated timber to get. H3 looks to be the best bet but when the ONLY option to deal with waste is landfill as its so toxic, I wonder what the off-gassing does to humans. And the US is phasing it out. Is this another DDT? Should we assume so and then only use H2 (LOSP) or H2F with bionthrim - wonder how bad they are for you vs the little eaters.
    Any one else struggle with this?

1K Club Member

Think your thinking of CCA treatment which is phased out here as well, they now use LOSP treatment, which is also H3
    give it a google

Small Member

If you want to completely avoid treated timbers you could use cypress pine, its supposed to be termite resistant.

Andy

Apprentice (new member)

Default cypress pine

LOVE the sound of using a good wood. Do you know if its dramatically more expensive - or where the cheapest place to get it is? I'll check Bunnings today.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by andy the pm View Post
    If you want to completely avoid treated timbers you could use cypress pine, its supposed to be termite resistant.

Andy

They will still eat cypress if there is nothing else around. They will save it till last but it's not termite proof.

Use a pyritherim based treated pine like LOSP or preferably T2 from Hyne or Blue from Carter Holt Harvey..

cheers,

CCA is still in use; the main 'concern' with CCA is the cyanide content - it doesn't outgas or emit noxious fumes (except when burning...and if you house frame is on fire, you've got bigger outgassing concerns to worry about).

I guess it boils down to choosing between a treatment with a long (70 years+) history and known issues (cyanide toxicity is a well researched issue...if you don't eat more than 100 grams of CCA treated sawdust a month you should be right, according to the CSIRO), or the newer 'replacement' with possibly not yet discovered issues (just because a compound is 'natural' doesn't mean that it is 'safe'....cyanide is even more natural than chrysanthemic acid )

Basically, I'm happy with CCA. Lasts a long time, poses no major risks in residential framing use, and termites really don't like it. There is a segment of the population that likes to take risks and blow them out of all proportion (see also mercury in vaccinations, the vaccinations themselves, fluoridation, mercury in tooth fillings... you get the idea...) - I do wish they would wear their tin foil hats more prominently.

PS. Pyrethrin products can kill your pets: http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1684&aid=2252

And may be linked to autism: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/OnCall/...4857380&page=1
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

Apprentice (new member)

mmm. the plot thickens for me. I see that they LOVE the untreated pine. but skip the door and window framing as well as the doors. I wonder what kind of wood that is. Also I looked at pocket door framing to go in that wall and it is not treated. Does one need to paint the H2 stuff on it?