Hire the best Home Extension Experts

timber fault, boarers, dry rot or rats? ...help!

Apprentice (new member)

Default timber fault, boarers, dry rot or rats? ...help!

Hi All,

Has anyone ever seen anything like the before?

Its in my 70's hardwood roof near one of the fluro downlights and a couple of metres off the skylight. There has been definite noise and scratching in the immediate area and rat poo, but the timber has gone powdery? - young first home owner so im panicing a little

A council building inspector mate reckons fault in timber that a rat has had a go at and not termites/boarers or dry rot but I don’t know?

no visible boar holes, not damp, no stains or fungi?

Its definitely happened in the last couple of months though as i regularly check the skylight for leaks and its where im up to with the insulation so would have noticed it.

Given the rat droppings and noise (and allot of it) im leaning toward rat activity but i dont know (baits in the imediate vacinity have gone untouched over the last month- hence why i opened one right up) - strange its gone powdery though?

I should prob add its only happing one one side of the beam over a half metre section.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Grimo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc03602.jpg   dsc03603.jpg   dsc03604.jpg   dsc03605.jpg   dsc03606.jpg  

dsc03607.jpg   dsc03608.jpg  

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

The shape of that damage makes me think it's sapwood from being cut near the outside of the log.

Borers will sometimes feed on it but don't always go any further inside the timber.

Some info here.

Borers and the Householder in Queensland
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Old Builder

I think you should believe your council building inspector mate. He'd know as much as most of us and more importantly, has seen it first hand....
    From the photos it certainly doesn't appear to be termite nor dry rot damage. As Bedford said, it's likely to be associated with the cut near the outside of the log.
    Good luck with it.

Lictus borer. Do a Google

Apprentice (new member)

thanks guys, the plot thickens.

i sent the same pics to my old man who passed on to a chippy mate (and construction teacher) his call was for powder post beetle (ie. lictus - thanks brickie) which attacks sapwood only (ala bedford/mijati - thanks)

- He figures given age that the timber has been like that for years and had a 'veneer' for lack of a better term which either i inadvertably crushed whilst insulating or a rat attacked and uncovered - no bore holes now visible...

But, and a big but...... on research of the lictus beetle memories came flodding back... 8 or so months ago i purchased a fish donger (mini baseball bat to kill fish quickly) from BCF - wilson branded. Over the next few months i noticed a powdery floury dust throughout my garage fishing cupboard but didnt think to much of it. It wasnt until i went to grab the donger a month or so later that i noticed it was sitting in a pile of dust and had a hundred or so pin holes through it!!!!! - i quickly threw it out but didnt think to much of it.

Dam! have i introduced these into my residence? time to find a solution to treat etc just in case.........

Quote Originally Posted by grimo82 View Post
    Dam! have i introduced these into my residence? time to find a solution to treat etc just in case.........
    Borax powder which you can buy at the supermarket mixed with water and sprayed on timber quickly kills them..