Hire the best Home Extension Experts

trusses for walls and the roof

ajm
    Golden Member

Default trusses for walls and the roof

I have been reading today about trusses and thought it will be more interesting if i threw the topic open to suggestion. I have loads of questions but don't know which way is up and don't really want to put the cart on top of the horse, or beside it, or upside down, back to front, in a different section of the carpark....if you catch my drift, so please bear with me. we are planning a small extension to our place on the northside of brisbane and wanted to investigate the cost of trussed roof and walls to speed things up. who would one talk to as a retail customer (rather than trade)? also, what sort of timber is best for qld use? do we need to know exactly what we want before we approach someone? are there any out there to avoid? we ideally want to achieve a 10.8m span for the roof trusses, is this possible? what spacing need to go between each one or more pointedly, how many will i need for a 12 m long extension? i am sure i had more questions last night but cannot think what they were right now. hopefully, if you have some answers for me, you might even have other questions i should consider.

i should just add that we do not intend to do the extension ourselves ( oh, she of little faith....), but we do want to know the ins and outs of the cost drivers when getting quotes on the work.
    Last edited by ajm; 1st Aug 2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: didn't want to sound like an idiot

10.8 x 12 mt = small extension eh ???? Thats as big as my whole house. You will need to take your fully designed, detailed and approved plans to a truss and wall manufacturer. Google is the way to go. There are a few very large companies but also quite a few small guys who can be very competitive on price. People ( not me )are dropping prices a bit at the moment aswell due to the housing slump in Brisbane

ajm
    Golden Member

thanks ringtail. the house part of the extension is 10 x 5 and the rest verandah.

Gotcha, more verandah less house is my motto. 10.8mt is no problem for the trusses although they will be sizeable untis and will definitley require a crane upon delivery to lift and install. Spacing will depend entirely on the plans and the truss engineers -its in their hands.

when you say:
    You will need to take your fully designed, detailed and approved plans to a truss and wall manufacturer.
    You don't have to take engineered plans to them do you? They design the trusses to suit your dimensions I would have thought.
    sorry for the ramble.

Correct. The truss guys engineer a system to suit your plans. So you get a form 15 for design from them, which is passed on to the certifier. If the plans require engineering then that would have to be done before the plans are given to the truss company so they can see the whole picture before designing a roof system.

Yeah pre made walls and trusses certainally speed things up. Trusses need to be engineered of course. The walls, well in my case I am just building them myself.

I approached the truss joint myself once I had a complete set of plans. Understanding some building "jargon" and having a basic understanding of what your project entails certainally helps when speaking to them and any building tradies. I had a some experience doing minor works and have spent some time helping out mates with their reno/new home projects before I started on my own.

Although it is still a bit of learning curve for me.

Pics will help give the good folks here a better understanding of your project.
    When I die, bury me in the hardware store