Hire the best Home Extension Experts

victorian profile timber weatherboard - advice please

Apprentice (new member)

Red face victorian profile timber weatherboard - advice please

We will be constructing a small conservatory type addition to the rear of our house. Council has specified that we should use Victorian profile timber weatherboards.

Can anyone provide advice on the difference between Victorian style weatherboards and regular weatherboards and where these can be obtained in Sydney?

I feel certain they will be referring to SQUARE EDGED Baltic Pine Weatherboards, available from any timber place.

"early" Victorian homes did have another profile of board with what's known as a Regency Bead on the outer edge, but I would be surprised if council knew what they were and were requiring those.

AFTER the VIC era there were a range of weatherboard variations available, most common of which was the round-edge or bull-nose weatherboard. These were intro'd well after the Victorian Era and proliferated in the 40's-60's.

If you can, please send a pic of you place and a pic of the plans for the conservatory as I would love to see what youre planning ..... also, have you referred to the English magazines as a reference for conservatory designs? The UK is the land of the conservatory, as the attached will attest to. The English House and Garden, and similar magazines are full of ads like this one .... of course, it is MUCH colder there and a glass roof'd conservatory may not be what youre planning at all

Have fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails conservatory-victorian2.jpg  
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Hwd Flooring Manufacturer glock40sw's Avatar

G'day.
    If you have a sample of the weatherboard, you could have the required amount machined for you.
    I know that Danias Timber in Victoria Road at Marrickville can produce any profile out of a large selection of different species.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton
    Last edited by glock40sw; 2nd Dec 2004 at 12:17 PM.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by seriph1 View Post
    I feel certain they will be referring to SQUARE EDGED Baltic Pine Weatherboards, available from any timber place.

"early" Victorian homes did have another profile of board with what's known as a Regency Bead on the outer edge, but I would be surprised if council knew what they were and were requiring those.

AFTER the VIC era there were a range of weatherboard variations available, most common of which was the round-edge or bull-nose weatherboard. These were intro'd well after the Victorian Era and proliferated in the 40's-60's.

If you can, please send a pic of you place and a pic of the plans for the conservatory as I would love to see what youre planning ..... also, have you referred to the English magazines as a reference for conservatory designs? The UK is the land of the conservatory, as the attached will attest to. The English House and Garden, and similar magazines are full of ads like this one .... of course, it is MUCH colder there and a glass roof'd conservatory may not be what youre planning at all

Have fun!
    Hi, In Ballarat, there are many examples of a weatherboard with a Lambs tongue detail to the bottom of it. I have not seen this in Melbourne, but it is a nice detail; about 175 x 20mm.

Fedwood might be a place to try as they do most other victorian stuff....

Crescent timber down at annandale will also profile.

Cheers,
    Garth

7 yrs since the OP posted and only posted once .... must've got his answer
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Just about due for another coat of paint by now!
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Aargh! didn't look at the first post date and went from the last! Oh well, someone might find the 2 spots helpful....