Hire the best Gardeners

Apple tree

Novice

Default Apple tree

Hi there.

After 2 years not inspection THE TREES on my rental/investment property (don’t do that folks) I noticed one of my beautiful apple trees had some sort of illness. The tenants was not smart enough to notice the tree ceased the fruit production and call me. Anyway.

Looking closer, the tree is full of this white fluffy thing.

Doing some google research, it seems is something called Woolly Aphids.

I have been recommended to apply Yates Baythroid, which looks a bit aggressive.

I have been using Fruit Oil from this guys https://ecoorganicgarden.com.au/products/pest-disease/eco-oil/ for a different application, different plant but I’m pleased with the results. Not sure if would be effective with the apple tree issue tough.

Anyone got any recommendations???
    ====

4K Club Member

It is also rotting at the scar below the fork in the trunk. Perhaps if you prune it back hard to a good spur below that rot point it may recover. It may not
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Novice

You are absolutely correct.
    Would a product like that do any good to this poor tree?
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunning...paint_p3012456

Novice

Look r3nov8or, I think would not be very hard for them to call me saying "the trees are not fruiting".

Specially we are talking about a fruit tree, something that can not be fixed very easy if something goes wrong - not like a wall damage or anything else related to the house.

For my surprise the tenant told me the apples were the best she ever had on her entirely life, and still she couldn't even be bothered to report that.

Novice

I haven't inspected the TREES! for two years, not the entire property!

I've just realised I misspelled that on my OP, now I understood why that triggered your Internet DH mode so quick. At least you increased your post count by +3.

2K Club Member

Treating Woolly Aphids in apple trees - ABC South East NSW - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

This video shows how to treat it - it requires a systemic insecticide like the two she mentions (e.g. Baythroid).

I don’t think you should blame the tenant - lots of people don’t know about gardening and most people would just consider it seasonal variation (which it often is!)

It also looks like a branch fell off.