Hire the best Gardeners

Fixing drainage on uphill side of house/foundation

Apprentice (new member)

Question Fixing drainage on uphill side of house/foundation

Hey folks, first post! We've bought a place built in the 70's and think the exterior has some drainage issues. It's a double-brick house, on slab, on a medium-grade slope - on heavy clay soil.

I've attached a photo of the side of the foundation and brick walls, which typically has soil heaped up to 300mm alongside of it (garden beds a total of 500mm above foundation in places). I've cut the soil back to find the slab. As you can see there's moss growing and damp on the bricks, so I reckon it's permeating the brickwork. We're renovating the landscaping and want to install a proper solution before we get any further. Think we need a French drain - a spoon drain would be much easier, but we want beds/lawn to be level to the side of the house here)

Questions:
    1. Do I need to do anything about it? Nervous first-home owner here! The house has been standing for a long time now, so maybe it's fine as it?
    2. Will a French drain (100mm ag pipe) work here - at the edge of and below the foundation, on a bed of screenings and back filled with more screenings? We'll have lawn on the surface. (Is it safe to then backfill earth to the brickwork?)
    3. If we make a French drain, do we use Geotextile or not? I've heard textile can block with heavy clay soil particles over time and stop the drain working.
    4. Should I cement an angle from brickwork to the edge of foundation (shown as a little triangle in the photo), to channel water down to the ag pipe? Otherwise we might just get pooling water on the foundation edge.

Any tips much appreciated! Will be a lot of work but want to keep our new place happy for many years to come. Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_20180415_165904.jpg  

While the agg drain below foundation level won't hurt the most important thing to do is get the extra dirt away from the brickwork. You want the ground near the foundation level.
    Either bring in a bob cat and remove the extra dirt and/or install a retaining wall. The cement angle won't stop moisture ingress.
    The only other option involves a water sealant but that's generally done on a wall that's designed to be sub-surface. One I was involved in had larger cavity and was filled with concrete after.
    Keeping the dirt away has the advantage of reducing termite risk as well.

I've only used the geotexile when its fine sandy soil that fits through the agg pipe holes.
    Personally what I do when installing agg drain is keep both ends accessible. If it becomes blocked put a high pressure drain cleaner through it.

I also recommend repairing the cement on the window sills. Especially on the weather side a lot of water will build up and run straight inside wall.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks heaps for the quick reply, Doovalacky. Yeah that sounds right about keeping the soil from touching the brickwork - makes sense. Think we'll end up levelling out the whole back yard to make that happen. Lots of work but will be for the best. Good point on the ag textile too - I just read here that having the screenings/bluemetal at the bottom of the trench below the ag helps alleviate the silt - it should fall through the pipe and sit in the bottom of the trench instead. Will also use your technique for keeping access to both ends of the ag for cleaning.

Will seal up those holes in the brickwork too - we just removed a rotten deck that was tied into the holes. Thanks for the tip.