Hire the best Gardeners

Floating Blueboard Outdoor Feature Wall

Apprentice (new member)

Default Floating Blueboard Outdoor Feature Wall

Folks...
    I would like to say I have taken away so much from this forum and I feel I should share with you how I have used some of your info to realise what I've had in mind for so long as it awaited approval by "the wife". ...Thanks wifey for your trust.It should be noted that I am just a bloke down the street with NO background in construction whatsoever.Now back to the floating feature wall.I had to screen our alfresco from direct view of our neighbour and the screen/feature wall had to be at least 3mx 2.4 high.
    Firstly,I sunk 3 100x100 cypress pine posts 600 deep set them at about 900 apart and from ground up these stood approx 2.5m(reason for this will be explained later).After posts had set,I set out to create the FLOATING frame.I used three 190x45 F7 H3 TP which I cut to x3 1.8m lengths and measured at least 300-350 from the ground such butted them hard to the outer sides of the upright cypress posts and one in the middle.The 190s were flush with the 100 cypress at the back meaning there was a protrusion of at least 90 at the front and it IS from this "protrusion" that I created THE FLOATING FRAME.I ran 90x45 H3 TP across the top and bottom and there I had my rectagular frame suspended 30-35cm from the ground hard butted against uprights-spanning 2.4m wide.In this 2.4 m wide span I used two 1.2m wide blueboards and nailed them to the frame.Note that my frame had noggins for extra support.In the end the floating bit was 2.4 wide and 1.8high
    See pics below for now
    Updates to follow
    The middle bit/FLOAT/rectangle bit has been primed and ready for render-Will be using Rockote Render
    The cut out is for tiles Rationale:Tiles attached to a blueboard tend to be heavy and Harditex is not suitable to tile on according to James Hardie the manufactureres of blueboard hence my tiles will SIT on a the opening which has been reinforced and my tiles are at least 3-4 cm deep so they should be stacked ontop of each other and glued onto a supporting sheet at the back..pics to follow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wall-004.jpg   wall-001.jpg  

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

wheres the water? if ist floating

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

I personally would have gone deeper with the posts, looks like it might be carrying a bit of weight once finished

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by stevoh741 View Post
    I personally would have gone deeper with the posts, looks like it might be carrying a bit of weight once finished
    Thanks stevoh741,appreciate your input...I thought about going deeper but my first limitation was the bloody mudd!!!Secondly..it is sound and I think it will take the weight and the 900 post spacing should support the weight me thinks..touch skull ...koh koh koh

7K Club Member

Nice job.

It has the potential to catch a lot of wind. I'd plan for some diagonal bracing to the base of the fence from a couple of the inner posts (so it's not too noticable from the front/side, but is functional)