Hire the best Gardeners

Grade from slab, pebbles, garden bed (ideas?)

Apprentice (new member)

Default Grade from slab, pebbles, garden bed (ideas?)

Hi there,
    I'm looking for some guidance on the front of the house where the land meets the slab, slab visability for termite protection, corect soil grading, pebbles and drought tolerant plants.

ok so the grass/soil was right at the bottom of the weep holes (no slab was visible), I was told by my building inspector that pebbles around the perimeter might be a good idea for termite protection. I decided to dig out by about 200mm and ensure the slab was visible by about 75mm to lay pebbles. However I also wanted to plant a row of baby agapanthus along the front to make the front of the house more appealing so I Extended the trench to 600mm. Now I have the issue that there's a trench which I'm concerned will act as a water pooling area.. I'm not sure what the best practice would be whether I should extend the width further to say 900 to allow for pebble, sand and the dwarf agapanthus bordered with treated pine or would this just act as a water catchment.
    what would be the best practice in this scenario?

2K Club Member

Are you still keeping the 75mm visible edge of the slab on top of the pebbles? Pebbles won't stop termites, you need to keep the slab edge exposed.

Water pooling will depend on your soil - clay or sandy. My termite inspection guy recommends not having garden beds near the house or other sources of moist earth as these conditions can encourage termites.

Apprentice (new member)

Does that mean excavation is required to shown 75mm slab and a 6" slope 10' away from foundation. The house was built in the early 80's I assume these guidelines didn't apply then. Is there any exception to the rule?

2K Club Member

Are you wanting to comply with the rules that applied at the time of construction, or are you wanting to protect the house from termites?

Different things.

Apprentice (new member)

I think we both know the answer to that.. I guess the grade of the slope is correct but needs to drop 75mm across the board. Given that regrading is a pain the you know what would explain why most houses built before the current building standards haven't made the change