Hire the best Gardeners

How to T ag pipe into existing buried stormwater pipe?

Novice

Default How to T ag pipe into existing buried stormwater pipe?

I feel like this should be easy but...

I have an existing 90mm storm water pipe that is buried. I have run some ag pipe and planned to T it into this existing pipe. But I realise I can't quite do it because the typical T fitting has flanges on it that are longer than the gap between the two pieces of pipe it is connecting to. Since the two pieces are the existing pipe that I will cut a section out of, I won't be able to move them apart to fit the T piece in, because they are buried and connected to other stuff.

Hope that word salad makes sense. Diagram is below.

Anyone know how I can do this?

Novice

img_4842.jpg

4K Club Member

Visit your local plumbing supplies and ask the question.
    There are fittings available either slip sockets or expansion coupling however
    you should NOT be connecting ag pipe to the existing storm drains cause you will cause problems with water coming OUT of the ag drain when it's raining.....

Novice

Thanks will ask around.

Good point. The ag pipe is on quite a slope just before it meets the existing pipe, so thought it would be fine. What would be the best way to connect the ag pipe to the stormwater? Otherwise it’s currently just pissing out water at the end of the ag pipe which is connected to nothing.

7K Club Member

Can you dig out more of the existing pipes, so you can flex them towards you, and slip in the T?

The slip/expansion joiners sound good too.

Re the concern about flow from the solid pipe to the ag pipe, use solid pipe for a metre or so up the slope and connect the ag to that

I'd follow Cyclics response, however have you considered a small pit, connect your agi pipe to the pit and run a 90mm line to the stormwater. There are a couple of easy ways to cut in a T, probably a rubber fitting (boot) would be part of that arrangement. The pit at least collects water and gives you some idea of the muck your agi pipe shoves into the storm water system. As well it lets you know about blockages upstream so at least you have some idea when the pit remains dry and your yard is boggy in wet periods.

Novice

You’ve given me some food for thought and it lead to me to discover a fitting called a “snap on tee”, which looks like it will do the job.

I was thinking of a pit but unfortunately don’t have enough clearance and where it connects is on the nature strip so don’t have much room to play with. But given the steep angle that the ag pipe meets the existing pipe, I think the idea of a short run of solid pipe from the tee will basically act like a pit of sorts. I might give that a go and see how it performs.